Changing AV rubbers and oil pump on an 046

Bobsaw

Hi this is my first post so hope I have put it in the right section.

I was just looking for some advice. I need to change the oil pump on my saw and I was just wondering how easy it was. I know I have to remove the flywheel etc but is it literally a case of taking out the old pump and putting in the new one or it there more to it then that.

Is this the same for the AV rubbers, taking the old ones off and putting the new one in. I know there seem to be different ones, how do you tell which ones go where.

Many thanks

I think you mean that you need to remove the Centrifugal Clutch, not the flywheel unless you are an unemployed gynacologist and are going to get at the pump by removing both crankshaft bearings and getting to it with forceps:001_tt2:

Most Stihls are relatively easy to work on, not done a 044 but the sprocket and clutch need to be removed, you may have other parts that need removing such as a large washer and drive pinion - generally the pump is held on with a couple of T27 bolts - sometimes one.

Just note that the clutch has a left hand thread!

How difficult is it - depends on how good you are:thumbup:

As Spud said, take the clutch off then the pump should be held in with two T27 screws...

It's a good idea to take all the plastic covers around the clutch off too for better access to removing the brake band...

If it's anything like an MS460 it's a doddle, done in 20mins or less :D

It's also a good idea to pull the oil hose out the same side as the pump and check it's in good condition/clean, and blow through the outward feed through the crank case to clear any gunge...