Hi

JamesA

Hi James,

I was in the Fleet Air Arm for twenty odd years and got fed up with it too. I did the 30 day Service leavers course at Kingswood Training run by Richard Ollie.

From other courses I have since completed, I feel that the training at Kingswood is first class, particulary the safety aspects and correct way things are taught.

The course is hard work, both physically and mentally, but really enjoyable.

Richard and his team have been doing this for a while now and are very used to the Service mentality and sense of humour.

After successfully completeing the course, you will have a sound understanding of the theroretical side of the industry and a novices skills in the practical side. It is then up to you to push on and learn and practice the skills you have been taught. You will not be able to command a hugh wage to start with, as this industry goes on years spent climbing (that means climbing most work days and not once or twice a month).

To your advantage, most ex-service personnel have a good attitude to work and commitment and this is often noticed by employers pretty early on. Often responsibility is quickly given as service personnel have completed leadership training and are used to handling situations that not all their civillian colleges have come across.

If you haven't already talked to Richard, call him. He's a nice guy and will fill you in on the course and industry as a whole.

I'm sorry I didn't change careers years ago. I now live and work in Canada, climbing 100ft plus trees each week and using a huge range of tools and machinery that I didn't even know existed a few years ago. I learn somthing new everyday and slowly over time I'm getting to be a better climber with a wide range of skills and the wages that go with those skills.

Anyway, if you want any more info on the Service side of things, just ask. If you want industry information, post a thread on here, someone will know the answer, a few will think they know the answer and everyone else will take the piss out of them.:001_smile:

Will

Hello James

I dont know what salary you are on at the moment ,

just bear in mind if you want to start in the industry #

you are looking @ £220 a week to start as a trainee tickets or not ! your still a trainee

that coupled with the fact that there arent many arb co 's taking staff on at present,

some are only working 3 days a week

If you want to start in business you couldnt have picked a worse time to set up

I know of a few guys Ex forces that have been through the same training package resettlement, they got their quals bought kit & vehicles & they ARE NOT WORKING !!!

so 20+k a year to sod all is really going to hurt !!

Try asking your Sqn ldr for permission to work casually at weekends whilst still been in the mob

& approach local firms

that way you have job stability & real on the job training all in one

rgds Iain

You'll be earning a lot less as a climber than you do as an L Tech AF mate!.

If you're not worried about the money but really want to get into the job, you're best bet is to go and get a few days in with a local tree company (maybe you're next leave).

This will give you a feel for the job and give you a few contacts.

Good luck mukka!