Help please

Rupe

I have never seen fistulia hepitica above 1m high 90% of the time it is right on the butt or in the root system by the river. yesterday i spotted inonotus hispidus 4m up on english oak right beside the road, i have not checked it yet i was flying by in a hurry but i will let you all know if it checks out:001_smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s one that I decided was I. dryadeus (hopefully correctly!):

yumity.jpg

I’m posting the picture because the ones at the beginning of the thread looked similar to me, but a bit more advanced.

It was growing at the base of an oak, I thought it looked quite like a white bread roll - it was a young bracket and had only just started to drip.

The ones in the original pic are reddish brown, but I thought that was just where reddy brown exude had dripped on them from brackets above. Colour-wise, photos can be a bit misleading; likewise the fuzzy, rather than smooth appearance might be down to a slight lack of camera focus that you get taking pictures in the shade beneath trees.

The brackets were described as peachy and fuzzy by the person who took the pictures, not by me. You're right, though, in terms of their shapes the two can look really similar when they're young (excellent pics, by the way). I agree, the colours in pics (particularly digital ones which have been reduced in size etc) isn't the most reliable way to spot things.

If Rupe has the time, maybe he can keep an eye on these brackets and see how they develop into more readily ID-able mature forms?

I'm sure it's far more likely that the pics are I. dryadeus, but it's always good not to jump to conclusions- trees have a way of disproving assumptions. Which is great.

I have never seen fistulia hepitica above 1m high 90% of the time it is right on the butt or in the root system by the river. yesterday i spotted inonotus hispidus 4m up on english oak right beside the road, i have not checked it yet i was flying by in a hurry but i will let you all know if it checks out:001_smile:

Beefsteak fungus grows out much higher than that ...pretty commonly at that....

Can this be true....hispidus on oak??:sneaky2:

If Rupe has the time, maybe he can keep an eye on these brackets and see how they develop into more readily ID-able mature forms?

I'll be checking 'my' one out too, next time I'm in the area, just to make sure...

I'm still at the 'process of elimination' stage of fungi i.d. rather than knowing what most of them are from one glance.

Well ultimatley I think its fairly academic - all Rupe really needs to know is the decay strategy and how that will effect the extent of damage. He can then in accordance with the third rule of VTA calculate the strength of the remaining parts of the tree and make his recommendations! :D

So:-

Inonotus spp. on Oak = White rot, ductile fracture likely. Tree will tend to show adaptive growth prior to failure. More of a diagnosis problem when I. dryadeus is between buttresses but here its not.

F. hepatica = typically low intensity Brown rot. Failure uncommon.

Depending on the rest of the tree, maybe not a cause for removal??

Yes i thought i would check into this one i can clearly see you are right david and it is defo fistulina but strouts and winter say it is a root and butt rotter as i mostly see it,claus mattheck said stem base seldom higher in the stem,and david lonsdale said stem base or higher up at wounds or broken branches. As tony said rupe wants to know what to do with his turkey,well i have a policy right or wrong the tree always comes first so i reduse all my oak trees to a safe hieght for the thickness of stem wall being as safe as i can but keeping the tree as i have said before how can you replace 600 years of history,i bet i have got you all going now:scared1:

................. as safe as i can but keeping the tree as i have said before how can you replace 600 years of history,i bet i have got you all going now:scared1:

All's a tad strong David, but I know what you are getting at.

You should see some of our fine Oak toppings, would I'm sure sure take one hell of beating here :scared1:

We should start a two man Oak apreciation society........Save our Oaks, Save our Oaks, Save our Oaks they hear the strange men of the woods chant :crazy: