Which (sic) Ulmus

David Humphries

Came across this beauty whilst meandering along the lanes of Yorkshire (just above Settle) recently.

Think it's possibly Huntingdon (x hollandica 'vegeta') as opposed to Wych (glabra), but not 100%

Basing this on the length of leaf and the long exposed base on the short side.

Any one care to hazard an educated guess?

I'm nearly 40, and can't really remember Elms of this size from my youth, (especially residing as I do "dan saf" ) so it's a bit of an eye opener for me, what with DED.

Actually left rubber on the road as I skidded to a halt driving passed it.

The much better half thought I had run over a pheasant or somfink

Oh woe is me, how sad I have become :blushing:

P180808_13_53.JPG.9b706c8b5a6d55693ae9f06c29777a6e.JPG

59765376d9cef_P180808_13_5101.JPG.0a96bede20fa70af8b44f38be94313ef.JPG

P180808_13_51.JPG.f251cb28a23e1d92ea6f3d42fc377bcc.JPG

P180808_13_52.JPG.1ad015626b783befcd2d92035834c1c2.JPG

Nice. I'm not great with elms, but judging by the location rather than the pictures, I'd guess it's a Wytch elm.

I've seen a few good sized elms in Suffolk, most not quite the girth of that one to be fair. I did see one huge individual on a walk, but I can't remember exactly where now, I think it was somewhere near Woodbridge.:confused1:

There's a nice one in the churchyard at Hambleton, (the peninsular in Rutland Water) and of course there's plenty on the streets of Brighton and Amsterdam.

I always have a good look when I do see them though. I'm coming up to 40 myself - they were mostly gone as a common feature of the countryside before I became aware of them.

According to my little book:

Huntingdon elm can be distinguished from wych by its 2cm petiole - wych elm has very short leaf stalks.

The petioles on the photo look quite long, so my earlier guess, based on Wych being more common up north is probably wrong - assuming it is one or the other and not smooth leaved...:confused1: