recommended harness for a beginner ?

Tommy O

Hi Tom , I've just finsihed CS38 this week( Roll on 39!!).During the training we had a good harness selection to choose from and I tried them all.I ended up staying with the Petzl Sequoia SRT( Size 1) as did three of the 5 taking the course.I ended up buying my own and used it for the last two days ( Aerial/Pole Rescue).Back support is excellent and is easy to set up.Only niggle I have is the leg padding could be a little longer but I found spending a little adjusting lengths got it there.I'm not a big guy , 12 1/2 stone , the other lads were bigger and they didn't have any faults with it.But as said above , try as many as poss before you buy.

Good luck with the course , you'll love it .

Petzl Sequoir for me :thumbup1:

As for basic kit you will need:

1x 13mm climbing rope (i'd go for 35m)

1x Climbing lid

1x Strop with a tension system (or just a prusik)

1x Steel flip line (again with a prusik/system)

1x Set of spikes if your going straight into take down work

If your starting out I'd say learn to climb on something basic (split tail/prusik) before you start with stuff like a VT system.

So 1x or 2x prusiks/split-tails (only need 1 if you climb on 1 side of the rope but always handy to have spare prusiks for stuff like aerial rescue. At college I was taught to use both ends but when you get more efficient you'll just be able to strop in and re-throw)

A selection of krabs ... 5/6 is enough.

1x Mini first aid kit for your harness.

1x Handsaw

I THINK that is everything ... hope I hav'nt missed anything obvious :/.