Hedge planting

welwell

Hello folks!!!!

Just about to quote to plant a hedge.....probably Western Red Cedar (evergreen screen needed). The stretch is about 25metres long so I reckon I'll need between 25-35 trees. 25 if the client goes for larger tree, 35 if smaller. How long do reckon it would take to plant these???? I think the larger trees are in 15litre pots. Would a day do it???

Thanks everyone, much appreciated

I'd say day- day and a half if you collect the trees and all sundries, i'd go with 25 not 35 plants, don't forget to price in all your sundries ie stakes, ties , weak compost, mulch and mulch mats [if used]. And don't forget to allow for the the odd tree that might not take and die..:sneaky2:

me and my old man over the winter picked up and planted 40 friut trees in 15 litre pots, in a day, stakes and tied them and there is only two dead. i would rather plant bear root stuffin in the winter, for some reason they seem to make a better tree in the end thats what i think anyway

Problem is people don't seem to expect to pay a lot for planting... do you find that????

People dont seem to want to pay a lot for anything these days, and grudge the fact you might actually want to make a profit!! I would get the prices for the plants and sundries, include the time it takes to collect them, add the time for preparation, and planting, factor in the profit margin, add Vat (where required) then find out the delivery cost from the nursery and see if its cheaper to get them delivered to site, at least this gives you ammo when they try to haggle the price. Everyone these days seems to see Arb work as some basic agricultural service that peasants do, and expect it done for next to nothing. Be confident in your pricing, and stick to your guns.

Agree 100% mate. Found out the other day that to hire a man and a van is £45/hour (for 2 men)- £360 per day. Bet he doesn't pay employers liab and public liab and invested in 20k+ of tools etc. Your right we have to stick to our guns on prices, we are more than £45/hour as a company, but not that much!!!and we are skilled craftsmen....all of us.(not taking away from the crucial services that man and a van provide lol)

Sorry for the rant!!

I charge £60 per hour minimum for me and a groundie and that's for hedge trimming / reducing bring in ropes and lowering kit and the rate goes up.

£60 per hour is the minimum we should be charging to cover our gross overheads. If you don't you'll end up with shagged out equipment that you can't afford to replace

I charge £60 per hour minimum for me and a groundie and that's for hedge trimming / reducing bring in ropes and lowering kit and the rate goes up.

£60 per hour is the minimum we should be charging to cover our gross overheads. If you don't you'll end up with shagged out equipment that you can't afford to replace

Do you barter with people or is the price you give the price you stick to??

Do you barter with people or is the price you give the price you stick to??

No bartering, I have stood markets at weekends for 15 years, I used to deal with hundreds of people a day and got used to dealing with barterers.

I have spent hours working out my costings then add profit and that's it, your price is fixed.

If they want anything knocking off you just say I can't do the jobs to a high standard with a low price.

I've tried that in the past, lost a few jobs, but I think more often than not people are trying their luck and if you say no can do they will accept that the price quoted if fair, and go with you, it's all about the confidence in your pricing and knowing yourself that it's a fair price for a good job......and that we are not selling ourselves short, both personally and as a trade