Does anyone else bother with Poplar for Firewood?

farmer_ben

I was surprised how well Poplar burned ( in a wood stove) after reading all the negative comments.

I "barked" it with the front wheel of the 4WD, then cut to length & split.

If the bark is left on it is a bugger to get seasoned, especially "in the round"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felled a couple of medium poplars last autumn that are now sat on my stacks. They didn't feel at all heavy with water though (definitely poplar too!).

They will sit there until next spring, at which point they will be cut and split ready for the following winter. 2 years seasoning should do it!

On a similar vein, on the estate where I do a fair bit of forestry, there are at least 15 tonnes of 'offcuts' from our forestry production. Stuff that doesn't fit the specification (3.5m lengths, not willow or lime, nothing under 3 inch). It's going to take no time to collect, is free and can sit for a couple of years to season.

I think if you pay for firewood, then insist on the premium woods. If it's free and it's dry, if fine too!

If you insist on premium firewood you pay premium price and if you accept lesser woods you pay budget price .... bit of a silly comment really.

This is true, but the costs for production/conversion aren't much different for Oak or for willow. I think if I were paying £70 a cubic meter and I ended up with poplar, I might be a little miffed.

As I never pay for my wood, I'm happy to take whatever (bar most softwoods, which are a pain to split as well as being resinous).

That said, there seems to be a hugely emerging market for firewood of all varieties, so who am I to be picky!?

I have started running a few loads of the Poplar out, I was going to mix it in with my lovely seasoned hardwood next winter but am now selling whole loads of pop bit cheaper then a load of hardwood. The pub next to the farm gets through **** loads of wood and he is happy to take some off of me :) :)

I would think pubs would be ideal for it as there customers like putting it on. If its expensive hardwood a pain but cheap softwood they can fill their boots.

my thoughts exactly Steve, gonna swing in a load of local pubs tomorrow on my travels :)

One of my kindling customers supplies a chain of 25 pubs. They specify dry softwood because its easy to light and creates lots of flame for effect. Occasional spitting and popping is good because it reminds the customers they are sitting near a real fire and all adds to the effect.