trailer conversion

elfinwood saws

looks really good - what size wheels/tyres does it use?

I've been thinking of doing the same with a sankey,but the road legal load weight must be much better on a horsebox,I was a bit nervous about only having the one axle anyway!

Cheers

Steve

it,s on 13 x 175 8plys and it has brakes on all 4 wheels. Got 3 meter cubed of firewood out of that first load.

Just bear in mind the manufactures original GVW and nose weights etc no longer apply as it has had significant modification with structure removed that contributed to the original strength and resistance to flex. (that’s besides the mudguard issue)

As it appears in the photos the A-frame along with the structure that supports it is looks very weak and wont resist flex very well without additional suport.

it,s on 13 x 175 8plys and it has brakes on all 4 wheels. Got 3 meter cubed of firewood out of that first load.

Thats a fair load,agreed that the A frame could do with a little beefing up,but looks good and strong otherwise - now to find one that the horse pee hasn't taken over the edge!

The thing with my little ifor is the 10" wheels and auto reverse brakes make it impossible to reverse when the going gets sticky - not so good going forward either - the big wheels have got to be better,do most horseboxes have auto brakes,or can they be overridden at the coupling?

Cheers

Steve

Thats a fair load,agreed that the A frame could do with a little beefing up,but looks good and strong otherwise - now to find one that the horse pee hasn't taken over the edge!

The thing with my little ifor is the 10" wheels and auto reverse brakes make it impossible to reverse when the going gets sticky - not so good going forward either - the big wheels have got to be better,do most horseboxes have auto brakes,or can they be overridden at the coupling?

Cheers

Steve

i think most of the older boxes have brakes you can lock out for reversing with a pin or a flip over collar, going to have a day in the workshop today, so i will beef the A frame up a bit and make some mudguards.

• 1 month later...