Please someone give me advice & guidance

looker123

Hi,

First of all im new to this forum. Ive been a back ground user for quite a while now, and thought id take the time to register up and ask a few questions.

Im not going to make this too long winded. Right so i currently work as a groundsman after leaving college studying public services, little did i know it would be so useless in the real world :( I have always enjoyed being active and working outside, and have always fancied being a tree surgeon, i just didn't realise they were college courses availbale.

Im not sure what path to go down, the job im in atm i see at dead end, i dont think they will ever put me through any chainsaw courses etc and no chance of promotion or good money :( in the winter we got contract of some big tree works and i worked along side 3 very experienced tree surgeons so i have got a little experience, gaining tips and advice off them.

So if you were in my position what would you do? I am willing to pay for all the courses i need obv to an extent say 5k's worth and possibly more if it meant i could get a foot in the door.

If i did cs 30 + 31 would this stand me in good chance of getting employment, then working my way up from there or would i need more than the basics? I know experience in vital but i aint going to get any if i am not given the opportuninty.

Iam from the York area so if anyone knows any one recruiting, or if anyone wants a help weekend work, im not asking for £10 ph just need a chance.

I have looked on arbjobs and the rest but not much around.

Comments advice will be muchly appreciated.

Reagrds, looker123

I would go for your basic tickets and get an aerial rescue ticket, that then makes you a viable groundsman to a wider set of companies, as many will be working to best practice recommendatory where a minimum of 2 are at work and at least one having a certificate of rescue operations. for obvious reasons.

get yourself a tree ident book, and download some of the AFAG information so your clued up on a minimum level, that way youll have a bit of lingo about you ansd will seem more serious than your average wanna be arborist.

your ariel ticket will open doors more than anything right now.

I would go for your basic tickets and get an aerial rescue ticket, that then makes you a viable groundsman to a wider set of companies, as many will be working to best practice recommendatory where a minimum of 2 are at work and at least one having a certificate of rescue operations. for obvious reasons.

get yourself a tree ident book, and download some of the AFAG information so your clued up on a minimum level, that way youll have a bit of lingo about you ansd will seem more serious than your average wanna be arborist.

your ariel ticket will open doors more than anything right now.

Thats great, thanks for your help. By basic do you mean just cs 30 + 31?

Also another question, i have seen the tickets at bishop burton around 300 for cs 30, is there anyway to get this cheaper, i have heard some say college is just the middle man so could how would i go about getting an assesor if possible?

I think i will do as you have suggested, im only 19 so have plenty of time just trying to get a bit of money behind me to fund the courses, will being a groundsman be of any help when trying to find work being an arb?

Many thanks again

Its been a long time since ive had to think about what basic tickets are, but the ariel rescue is about the most benificial groundsmans ticket youll find in getting doors opened.

I would personaly go for a private NPTC guy and get him to assit you through a number of tickets in one day, your in w york so im not able to recommend a good one who is "sensible" up your way, but ask in another thread for this and someone will know one near you.

as for being a groundsman IMO an essential part of your experience base, you MUST learn to appreciate the groundsmans role BEFORE you take to the canopy IMO

Thats great, thanks for your help. By basic do you mean just cs 30 + 31?

Also another question, i have seen the tickets at bishop burton around 300 for cs 30, is there anyway to get this cheaper, i have heard some say college is just the middle man so could how would i go about getting an assesor if possible?

I think i will do as you have suggested, im only 19 so have plenty of time just trying to get a bit of money behind me to fund the courses, will being a groundsman be of any help when trying to find work being an arb?

Many thanks again

Welcome to the forum :001_smile:

As for the money issues, i know where your coming from, being 19 myself, hav you though about going back to college for a year or two and doing a forestry/arb national diploma or somthing similar?

I did an ND Forestry and Arboriculture straight after i left school, i got CS30, 31, 38, 39, PA1 and 6, and First Aid at Work Certificate all for free, as part of the course :thumbup:

And learnt a hell of a lot in the course

Its been a long time since ive had to think about what basic tickets are, but the ariel rescue is about the most benificial groundsmans ticket youll find in getting doors opened.

I would personaly go for a private NPTC guy and get him to assit you through a number of tickets in one day, your in w york so im not able to recommend a good one who is "sensible" up your way, but ask in another thread for this and someone will know one near you.

as for being a groundsman IMO an essential part of your experience base, you MUST learn to appreciate the groundsmans role BEFORE you take to the canopy IMO

Ok cheers, i will have another browse around and ask a few people about trainers that are good around my area sure they will be someone around here.

Well its good to know that being a groundsman is benificial. I do love the job, but as stated, possibly dead end, plus i dont want to wait for something good to arise with the company and it never happen, then realise i have left it too late to do anything.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :001_smile:

As for the money issues, i know where your coming from, being 19 myself, hav you though about going back to college for a year or two and doing a forestry/arb national diploma or somthing similar?

I did an ND Forestry and Arboriculture straight after i left school, i got CS30, 31, 38, 39, PA1 and 6, and First Aid at Work Certificate all for free, as part of the course :thumbup:

And learnt a hell of a lot in the course

Yeh i have considered going back to college, but that would mean obviously quitting my full time job, which i am not too keen on doing, as i need money badly to run a car, and live. The college that i would do it at is a good 25 miles away so quite a distance for a daily travel with little to no income.

Or is there any part time courses, say on a night that i could do? i have had a look but cant see anything. any suggestions?

So far i have gained pa 1 & 6, cscs, first aid, and few others with are irrelavent to arb.

Thanks for your input bud :001_smile:

You mentioned earlier about having some job training with some tree surgeons in the past.

I believe that you are still on good terms with these people and I would advise you to learn from them and seek as much guidance and assistance as possible. The additional advice and information you will seek from this forum will be priceless for your future. "Remember no one can pimp yourself or the services better than your self"

Best Regards

elg

yeh had a look at kingswood, seems a decent place, shame its so far away. Seen a few local colleges that offer training but as stated just better to go with private assesor.

And eg, yes i try and see them as much as possible but they work at other depots across the country so its rare i get the chance to work with them. I will keep picking advice along the way :001_smile:

Cheers