Pholiota aurivella

I am not even going to contemplate the implications of this fungi, ive learnt my lesson! But here is a catalouge of images that you may draw your own conclusions from.

Tony,

Almost all of the photo's document and confirm what I already said about the effects of Pholiota aurivella on the heartwood (at great hight) of trees and especially of beech, infected by its mycelium :thumbup: . Conclusion : you're a perfect student and have indeed meanwhile learnt your lesson well :001_rolleyes: .

Tony,

Almost all of the photo's document and confirm what I already said about the effects of Pholiota aurivella on the heartwood (at great hight) of trees and especially of beech, infected by its mycelium :thumbup: . Conclusion : you're a perfect student and have indeed meanwhile learnt your lesson well :001_rolleyes: .

Phew! at least im not barking up ALL the wrong trees!:thumbup1:

Well then you should have the decency to lable them for the pensioners among us !

:lol:

Cracking captures, whether or not I've seen them before :thumbup:

The birch sample was on the day of the APF, so if you want to jog your memory of what you said seek the diary entry for that day September the 11th I think it was, :lol:

i could tell you almost every species I found that day, and take you to the spot i found them, and probably even retrace the deer paths i followed. remember the rather large phalic aurivella I held in my hand and tim remarked at how amusing the image was? THAT day! i have a brain training game i could lend you!

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Hadn't seen or come across aurivella on Birch before, top shot :thumbup1: .

Tony & David,

I have seen it several times on birch (and besides beech, also on Platanus, Fraxinus, Populus, Ulmus, Acer and Malus), but here more often birch (and Quercus rubra, Robinia and Platanus) is attacked by Gymnopilus junonius. What is your experience with this quite aggressive parasitic fungus ?

Edited by Fungus

Saw this earlier today up at Knebworth in the woodland walk.

I make the presumption they're desicated aurivellas, due to host & location.

The aurivella is one of the most persitant fruit bodies, maybe gerrit can explain why they are so resistant to degradation? if the dessicate in cavities they are like twigs and hard to snap. Those are aurivellas for sure, at least your eyesights o.k even if your mind is a sieve!:lol: