Bleeding Sequoia

Wex

Thanks for the replies fellas.:thumbup1:

I've been asked by a friend to tidy up two Sequoias.Problem is they are within spitting distance of where he and his wife , visitors park their cars.I noticed that either he or someone else previously cut a branch about 3 metres up from the base.I think this was done more than a few years ago.Its on the reverse side of where they park but the bleeding is still profuse(I've been noticing it for the past 18 months).

I'm trying to minimise any staining to cars parked below hence if theirs any sort of "poultice" that can be applied to minimise this and not harm the tree.I appreciate that it's the trees own and best way of healing.But looking at the cut I mentioned above and if I was to prune in November is it likely bleeding will resume in Spring ?

It's all good, won't look pretty but as My favourite biscuit above said, keeps infection out:)

how big is the wound?

The existing one is about 4" diameter Stephen.

Got any pics, could you channel it with a bit of rope so it drips away from the car?

The old one that's bleeding away isn't a problem as its on the opposite side from where they park.It's the ones that I'll have to do that might cause problems below.I haven't any pics but I should be back up there next week:thumbup1:

Ill take this opportunity to air an idea that I've had for a while so the masses on here can debate it.

When my old man produced chestnut fencing stakes he placed the pointed end in the fire, the heat shut the pores and prevented them from drawing moisture up and rotting. Could a small ammount of localised heat shut the pores and prevent bleeding?