Srt for beginners

atree

I can't see why more people don't use SRT for work positioning and not just access? With a unicender you get into the tree and start work! It seems a lot of fuss to gain access into the crown and then switch to ddrt? There is the problem and safety issue with switching from one mode to another, although not if you are stropped in correctly.

With just a croll, hand ascenders etc you can only go up! It's a right pain to descend even the smallest amount!

To me it makes sense to spend some money, a lot of money! And buy a Unicender, it does so many things and has so many uses!

You are so right. I really don't understand why it isn't more popular. I've been using mine for a while now and i wouldn't dream of switching set-ups. I don't see the sense either of switching to ddrt once your up either (and you dont have to switch gear with it really because it totally replaces a friction hitch on ddrt. It simplifies that set-up too!). The unicender is perfectly safe as a working set-up. There's not really any way that it could get snagged and make you descend on accident because you have to squeeze the top AND the bottom at the same time. I modified mine to have handles too. I placed an eight inch piece of PVC strapped horizontally on the top. It works really well and makes long really long ascents a dream!! And for a pretty reasonable price of 280$ american. I know i sound like a salesman or something but i'm just trying get people to see how awesome this device is.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do you not find it harder to climb on really fine branches without putting more weight on them? especially comin back in? Do you guys normally anchor at the base of tie in at the top?

Drew, I was shown a little trick for limb walking, when walking back in clip in a crab above the unicender and feed/clip the tail through it. You can use a ropeman or hand ascenders as they are quicker than friction hitches. As you wLk in pull on the tail and this will advance the unicender. Keep moving the crab or pre plan and set it before you go out on the limb?

Anchor point depends on the tree and if you plan on pulling the line out directly out at the point of entry.

If you tie of at the top and leave the crown at an obscure a

angle the alpine butterfly can get stuck!

I think one of the key aspects to using an SRT system or ground anchored ddrt system well is to set your TIP from the ground. Steal every chance on site and get your throw cubes out and practice practice practice because sooner or later people will see the speed and efficiency develop and hopefully want it too.

As I srt work position my tie in points can get unusual. It caters very well for the variety of tree forms that we encounter every day. It gets creative sometimes. Some may say that it is a safer way to attach a working line because of the way it seems to accomodate stresses.

if using mechanicals bro you need 2x attachment-if using hitch cord its just one.

Unicender, foot loop, pantin job done. You could back the uni with a Helical but to be honest you don't need to. Would you back up a Spiderjack or Lockjack? :thumbdown:

on a single line? this is for ascent on cammed ascenders so yes bro. tbh i would with a uni too, if a branch hits the top of it(bit of dw falls down the line) and it slides down id want a backup-im not saying im right though bro, just my opinion. i think the uni needs a bar on top to prevent accidental openage from impact and a gate to trap the rope for better fairleading-then i think it rocks for sure. i feel it justs needs to some tweaking to become awesome.

... tbh i would with a uni too, if a branch hits the top of it(bit of dw falls down the line) and it slides down id want a backup-im not saying im right though bro, just my opinion.

If you follow this line of thinking, you had best stop using any form of friction hitch. They all release, slip, or fail with applied pressure. That is how they work and we must understand what can and cannot be done in our work environment.

...i think the uni needs a bar on top to prevent accidental openage from impact ...

Really? Top opening by accident on the Uni is not realistic and would not cause full failure even if it did.

... and a gate to trap the rope for better fairleading-then i think it rocks for sure....

If the Uni is used on a tether as a top ascender, dropping the tail while advancing does not happen. Maintaining the same tethered position for working accomplishes the same.

...i feel it justs needs to some tweaking to become awesome.

Almost all things can be improved upon, but the Unicender is so far superior to any single tool that is currently available, that it is well worth investing in for those with a mind to.

Dave

59765ab4867d0_Unitosaddle.JPG.0012bcb3c8bb8d45205a6fc7caaa73cc.JPG