Another one of my potentially boring questions :) blakes hitch problems?

YoGi_93

I really dont see why colleges are still set in the stone age teaching candidates hitches that are such poor performers, especially when so many will just stick with what they learned at college for the rest or their working lives.

I am not saying we should all be changing our hitches all the time but there many reliable hitches that could be taught to beginners that perform so much better then the two above.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont see why colleges are still set in the stone age teaching candidates hitches that are such poor performers, especially when so many will just stick with what they learned at college for the rest or their working lives.

I am not saying we should all be changing our hitches all the time but there many reliable hitches that could be taught to beginners that perform so much better then the two above.

The prussic is far from a poor performer !!

The prussic is far from a poor performer !!

Compared to a well sorted VT it is poor. But compared to a tautline, tied in the closed "traditional" system, it is a great performer. It's all relative.:001_rolleyes: Stick with what you are comfortable using would be the best bet :biggrin:

Compared to a well sorted VT it is poor. But compared to a tautline, tied in the closed "traditional" system, it is a great performer. It's all relative.:001_rolleyes: Stick with what you are comfortable using would be the best bet :biggrin:

Yes I agree but for a beginner if you read thread from beginning the prussic is best bet ! Then once comfortable tying for himself can move onto whatever feels right

Cheers guys very informative :) ill try the prusik defiantly :) ive got the tree climbers companion its a very good book ill look up the prusik and use that instead. Another thing if you dont mind answering, ive been using a climbing harness from one of my mates that he used to use but i just read up on it and do you recommend getting a proper arborist harness or isnt it necessary until i start using lanyards? :confused1: (side D rings obviously)

A blakes is better than a prussik!! and lets face it a blakes isn't great.

If you think a prussik is a good performer you need to try some others.

Did you read this thread from the beginning ?

This isn't about what I'm using it's about a beginner unsure of tying his first hitches and I was trying to be helpful!

Thankyou for your advice but I think I have already tried a few others !

I also think you'll find quite a few people including me that will disagree that the blakes isn't a good hitch !

Cheers guys very informative :) ill try the prusik defiantly :) ive got the tree climbers companion its a very good book ill look up the prusik and use that instead. Another thing if you dont mind answering, ive been using a climbing harness from one of my mates that he used to use but i just read up on it and do you recommend getting a proper arborist harness or isnt it necessary until i start using lanyards? :confused1: (side D rings obviously)

You should be using lanyards from day one, so a harness that does not allow for lanyards is not a tree harness.

If its a rock harness then give it back! Get a "work position harness!" Thats is what tree work is, its work positioning not climbing. You get into position by climbing of course but the position for work is the end goal, the climbing is just what gets you there.

D rings and lanyards are essential!

Yeah i see your point now. What about if I just want to get used to being in the tree and will only be using single rope technique or possible dynamic set ups? Ive heard rock climbing harnesses are set up differently in that they are designed to catch you if you fall, not to hold you suspended in the air. and for this reason hanging in them can be dangerous? Suspension trauma or something like that?