Look at this.

Harrison2604

Damn you replied already! i was just about to delete that post cos i realised i hadnt read all of the other thread :blushing:

i also commented on other post thinking there was only 1 page doh!

I will get back to you on this but for now i gotta go.

That thread is a particularly long one and well viewed, take your time!:lol:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHIGO has a lot to answer for,

I'm sorry but how disrespectful, his work was amazing, how can you say that when, neither for and against reducing/pollards has been proved right or wrong, in my opinion neither ever will be right or wrong.

now i'm not gonna get into debate about this, but to say that about some who had done an extreme amount of research about the subject and from whom a lot of people looked up to and learnt a lot from, thats shallow man. show some respect :sneaky2:

SHIGO has a lot to answer for,

I'm sorry but how disrespectful, his work was amazing, how can you say that when, neither for and against reducing/pollards has been proved right or wrong, in my opinion neither ever will be right or wrong.

now i'm not gonna get into debate about this, but to say that about some who had done an extreme amount of research about the subject and from whom a lot of people looked up to and learnt a lot from, thats shallow man. show some respect :sneaky2:

I have more respect for the man than you care to notice! I said he is responsible for a great deal of ill will to pruning and to decay, and that he is.

I am not the only mycologist to want to reverse Shigos tied of ill will to fungi.

and I would have argued long and hard with him face to face over this!:001_tt2:

I have more respect for the man than you care to notice! I said he is responsible for a great deal of ill will to pruning and to decay, and that he is.

I am not the only mycologist to want to reverse Shigos tied of ill will to fungi.

and I would have argued long and hard with him face to face over this!:001_tt2:

Like i said NO debate, just watch how you put things, you never know who's reading.:sneaky2::001_tongue:

Ok Hama here is where i am at now... You like your fungi thats cool i like all things that are not human and i do tend to agree with you on the tree and fungi relationship. On the use of pollarding i am still on my side saying its a bad idea. I do agree however that every now and again it is the only way to save a big tree in major difficulty but this is only a temporary fix and the tree will need constant work for the rest of its life. I am speaking in a H&S and urban setting where falling wood can kill. Pollarding in the past i believe was done for production with no regard to the health and well being or future of the trees, if it dies "who cares lets hack that one over there" kind of thing. To me, your love for the pollard is that it gives you some fungi to look at and that is where you see the beauty in it, where i see destruction and pointless extra work keeping the tree under control where it was already in control before the blind hand of man.

Anyway i still have a lot of reading to do but i am only convincing myself the more i read that i am correct.

Ok Hama here is where i am at now... You like your fungi thats cool i like all things that are not human and i do tend to agree with you on the tree and fungi relationship. On the use of pollarding i am still on my side saying its a bad idea. I do agree however that every now and again it is the only way to save a big tree in major difficulty but this is only a temporary fix and the tree will need constant work for the rest of its life. I am speaking in a H&S and urban setting where falling wood can kill. Pollarding in the past i believe was done for production with no regard to the health and well being or future of the trees, if it dies "who cares lets hack that one over there" kind of thing. To me, your love for the pollard is that it gives you some fungi to look at and that is where you see the beauty in it, where i see destruction and pointless extra work keeping the tree under control where it was already in control before the blind hand of man.

Anyway i still have a lot of reading to do but i am only convincing myself the more i read that i am correct.

so what of britains pedigree on the veteren tree front? its responsibility within the european BAP initiatives due in a very large part to its ANCIENT pollards? where are these perfectly healthy maiden trees of great age?

so what of britains pedigree on the veteren tree front? its responsibility within the european BAP initiatives due in a very large part to its ANCIENT pollards? where are these perfectly healthy maiden trees of great age?

How ancient does it need to be for you to start liking it? I am not saying all maidens are in perfect health. what i am saying is that all pollarded/topped trees are not in good health and have still to see evidence to the contrary.

What do you have against the natural form of a tree? dont you think it is much more beautiful to see a tree in all its natural form than that of a pollarded one? Humans have a lot to answer for and the constant push to change the nature of things and push natural life to the limits is beyond my comprehension. Why must we do these things when it is not necessary? Humans make me sick sometimes with this constant destruction, its like we thrive on hurting things. Some trees that are living around us, in our cities do need to be kept under control so we can live together but pollarding it not the answer for me.