Horse chesnut

ashman

It is standing at the moment, i have the job of taking it down, the bloke has said i can have the wood for nothing if i want it, not usually burning this so unsure if its worth my time loading and taking to my yard and stacking, or just leave it there.

As i am taking the tree down anyway, i have the choice to ring it up for logs, or take the trunk whole if i can find another use for it.

I wont take trees down for free, even though a few people do ask me to, my time and kit doesnt come free, sometimes i get the wood, sometimes they want to keep it, thats fine with me, but i dont usually get horse chesnut, so unsure if i want it.

Oh I see, you getting paid to take it down and then on top of that you could take the wood, that makes more sense! Its not good firewood, I doubt it can be milled as it has no structural strengh or uses, it would probably carve ok.

Personally I wouldn't touch it, I would charge extra to cut into firewood for the owner to keep or just leave it as it lands.

I know some who burn it, or put it on a fire to calm things down a bit, but if you sold someone a load of just chestnut they would be after their money back!

just mix a little bit in then?

There are somethings in this industry which can be put to good use and somethings that are a pain to shift it seems??

Sure, I maybe chuck 4-8 chestnut logs into a load, it is a hardwood after all, but I wouldn't go out of my way to take some "free" chestnut away. I charge to take all wood away anyway, but I charge less for good wood and that does not include chestnut.

Sure, I maybe chuck 4-8 chestnut logs into a load, it is a hardwood after all, but I wouldn't go out of my way to take some "free" chestnut away. I charge to take all wood away anyway, but I charge less for good wood and that does not include chestnut.

is this what you tell the customer when you go round to look at the job/quote?

Its "X" amount and so much to take away the wood..... i thought most customers would want you to either take the wood and clear up appropriatly, or on more frequent occasions they now keep it for themselves, but i didn't think you'd be able to charge to remove it.....

Round here, they try to drive the price down with it... of which i refuse to lower the price and explain just what processing into firewood is really like....