Heating price worries

andythesquirel

I've just had some heating oil delivered today. Price is now unbelievable. Over past 4 years, price has tripled.:scared1:

I have a oil fueled Aga, running a pressure jet burner. I already close it down when i can to save money.

The way prices are going, i have serious concerns about being able to continue running it. But, what's the alternative? I could change to gas, but the price of that is predicted to rise as well.

Is everyone else starting to worry about the necessities at home?

I have bigger concerns for my parents if we have a cold winter, as i know they will just turn the heating off.:sad:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean Steve. When i rebuilt my house i spent a fortune insulating it. I have a woodburner in the lounge which only needs lighting in winter. With the Aga and the wood burner going the house gets very warm no matter what the weather is like outside.

Over the next couple of years i am looking to move somewhere more rural, and i'm looking at best heating possabilites for that. In a previous thread i liked the woodchip boilers, but its the cooking aspect i'm struggling with. I love the Aga for cooking etc, but the fuel costs are killing me.

I converted it from solid fuel, as coke plant nearby closed and cheap coke deal ended, and oil was cheaper.

May consider changing it back to solid (use wood) when i move, but you lose the conveniance of it being up to temp all the time.

It's looking like if i want the conveniance i am going to have to pay the price for it.:sad:

All i can think it to try and save money elsewhere, but i'm running out of options.

I think there is going to be many people in the same situation soon Andy.

I, like you am interested in moving to a more rural place for work purposes but it looks unlikely until the present financial climate changes.

Until then i am interested in installing a log stove in the garage, and piping it into the house central heating, and keeping the present boiler as backup on thermostat.

I need to look into this option to see if its worth doing in the relative short term, but i feel if fuel prices do keep rising, and we do move it should make the property more saleable.

I think there is going to be many people in the same situation soon Andy.

I, like you am interested in moving to a more rural place for work purposes but it looks unlikely until the present financial climate changes.

Until then i am interested in installing a log stove in the garage, and piping it into the house central heating, and keeping the present boiler as backup on thermostat.

I need to look into this option to see if its worth doing in the relative short term, but i feel if fuel prices do keep rising, and we do move it should make the property more saleable.

I'm not sure if it will make the property more saleable. It is going to depend on where you live I think. Even though heating prices are going up all the time, the vast majority of the population are becoming sheep and just excepting it and paying more. The majority of people i talk to are just moaning about the cost. They are not looking at how to reduce costs by changing the systems they have used for years.

I would embrace a property with a wood boiler but i am not lazy and am happy to keep getting wood and filling it. I fear that people would be put off by the boiler and would want the standard inefficient gas boiler.

I would consider fitting a boiler temporarily, and ensure it could be removed it required when i moved.

If you want the convenience of oil with the price of wood, you need to look at wood pellets. We are talking with a manufacturer that makes a pellet burner head that fits into your aga.

Ed, i would be definitely interested in the pellet option for fueling the Aga when i move.

My main consideration apart from cost would be how long it would take to fire up the Aga to use it.

Let me know any details when you have them please.

I'm not sure if it will make the property more saleable. It is going to depend on where you live I think. Even though heating prices are going up all the time, the vast majority of the population are becoming sheep and just excepting it and paying more. The majority of people i talk to are just moaning about the cost. They are not looking at how to reduce costs by changing the systems they have used for years.

I would embrace a property with a wood boiler but i am not lazy and am happy to keep getting wood and filling it. I fear that people would be put off by the boiler and would want the standard inefficient gas boiler.

I would consider fitting a boiler temporarily, and ensure it could be removed it required when i moved.

Fair point andy, i see what you say about saleability, i guess if it doesnt make it sell better, i could take it with me anyway!