Eucalyptus Health

Green

Hi - I've stumbled on this website, not sure its the right place at all, but hoping someone can offer me some advice or re-direct me to someone that can?

I'm trying to find out if my Eucalyptus tree is dead or alive basically!

Its quite small, maybe 9 feet tall, I've had it for three years and its been thriving, but got 'pruned/butchered' towards the end of the last season and Im worried that this coupled with the cold snap this winter might have done for him!...Theres no new growth so far this season (which I guess by now there should be) and the majority of the leaves are dry and brown... I've snapped a couple of the small branches from the top, they dont contain any green, but do still seem fairly flexible with the strong Eucalyptus scent.

Can anyone advise of anything to look for before we have to chop it down and start over?

Id really appreciate any advice! Thank you in advance.:confused1:

A lot of eucalyptus are looking bad at the moment

Don't rush to cut it down give it time and see if it recovers

The frosts have caused a lot of damage this winter give things time to recover

As Theocus said there are other threads on this

the leaves will be scented long after death due to the high oil content, the severe weather (cold) this year has done for many, though some may as others have suggested come back, take a fingernail and scratch a litle outer bark off, if it is green under the bark layer there is a good chance it will recover.

Hmm - Its decidedly brown after scratching the bark, feels quite damp though...but guess that is the oil it contains?...Maybe it didn't appreciate the two foot of snow it sat in for a fortnight in December. Do you think I should just chop it down and replant a new one or is it still worth a shot? I believe its a good time to plant one now...so may as well bite the bullet (and hope for a milder winter!) at least the wood will be nice on the woodburner next christmas.

also...you mentioned its only 9ft tall and it had been butchered, which would suggest its maybe situated in a tight spot/small garden?? in which case its probably not the most suitable tree for you anyway

his wife may have planted it for the juvenile foliage and flower arrangments at the local church, it is one of the main reasons they are grown, for the juvenile foliage i mean:001_smile: