Eucalyptus Health

Green

Yes Ill put some pics up tomorrow...it is in the corner of a walled garden. And I am 'the wife' (ish) that did indeed plant it for the foliage, but not for the local church lol! Needed something evergreen to provide screenage. Thanks for all your help.

Yes Ill put some pics up tomorrow...it is in the corner of a walled garden. And I am 'the wife' (ish) that did indeed plant it for the foliage, but not for the local church lol! Needed something evergreen to provide screenage. Thanks for all your help.

they are pretty when pollarded for the penny/heart shaped juvenile foliage:thumbup1:

Well, just been out to take some pics of the patient.

Pls see attached situation of the tree, in the corner of walled garden.

The majority of the leaves are brown, plus theres an image of where the I've scratched the bark...again brown.

Not sure how I missed this before though, but there is a prob 20mm split in the bark from pretty much ground level up to branch point - I presume this is pretty conclusive that its DEAD! Does anyone know what may have caused this split?

Do you think I'd be ok to replant and hope for better luck next time?

Many thanks for your help.

59765a5b3f1bb_photo5.jpg.90b8644932fbc970d7a737252f397b1e.jpg

59765a5b3bfa3_photo4.jpg.3545b959b46ec02132030e57ad0af4a0.jpg

59765a5b374bb_photo3.jpg.41f3fbf09bda588ac2ee83563f0f80f1.jpg

59765a5b329e0_photo2.jpg.531bf70db1d4f0fc7e890bfa7b88dec2.jpg

59765a5b300e4_photo1.jpg.ade1df40786b3fc1a4631866ee14afdd.jpg

photo.jpg.c652d39177b96a4722ca76f06094bf28.jpg

Ha thanks, Id pretty much come to that conclusion when I noticed the big split in it today!!

Would that be because of the cold this winter? I dont really want to plant another only for the same thing to happen again in a couple of years... Thanks!

Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' thats the kind of tree i would have there as your garden looks quite small, and these little babys don't grow big not like your eucalyptus anyway and also its an evergreen to.

there good for about -8c -10c and depending on where you live i can't see us getting another harsh winter like that again for some time.

oh and don't prune it they don't like it.

good luck what ever you decide.

Ha thanks, Id pretty much come to that conclusion when I noticed the big split in it today!!

Would that be because of the cold this winter? I dont really want to plant another only for the same thing to happen again in a couple of years... Thanks!

if you really want a tree, then n arbuteus unedo is a stuning small evergreen, lovely red bronze tones in the bark, tolerates cold winters, is compact and even has strawberry (edible) like fruits, which is where the tree gets its common name strawberry tree, although personaly they look and taste more like mini lychees:thumbup1:

an amelanchier is another choice small tree, and has wonderful flowers about now, a delicate tree.

or you could go for a budleja for something native, cold tolerant and the butterflies it attracts are worth the slightly drab appearance when not flowering, it can be pruned hard in fact it does better when cut back every two years to just a stump and makes enough growth in two years to provide a fine flush of flowers. A very good choice for the smaller plot, there are many cultivars these days worth having, but i prefer the wild version.

lastly a lilac is also an option, could be treated the same way too.

Can't offer any advice, but I've noticed loads of eucalypts around Somerset turning brown over the last few weeks, including one in my garden.

I was wondering if there was a disease or infestation going around.

mate there going brown everywere