What are the rules

Dowie

Not sure if this is in the right place but.....

I have a regular maintenance job for a private client its in a rural area the land next to their garden is owned by a private person, it is mature trees and grass over about an acre.

My question is what if any are the laws/rules regarding cutting down mature trees on this land if there are no tpo's and its not in a conservation area?

Hi Dowie, I'm not sure I have read your post correctly. The tree is on the privately maintained land and does not belong to your clients? Then that would be criminal damage if you removed it without permission so DON'T DO IT.

It would be illegal and imoral :thumbdown:. Your professional reputation and work ethic is worth more than what your existing clients are offering you.

Edited by janey

Sorry should have made it clearer:blushing: I was asking from the point of view of the land owner, can he just fell what he likes when he likes. Or are there laws governing what he can do. I would never touch a tree on someone elses private land without the land owners consent.

Sorry should have made it clearer:blushing: I was asking from the point of view of the land owner, can he just fell what he likes when he likes. Or are there laws governing what he can do. I would never touch a tree on someone elses private land without the land owners consent.

Oh right, that's clearer :biggrin:. Sorry, wrong end of your stick and all that.

Yes, if there are no Planning constraints, ie, TPOs or Con' Areas, then legally the land owner can do what they like with their own trees. Although it would still be a shame to remove the tree without good reason.

Thats what I thought would be the case, so you just rely on someone appreciating mature trees in their natural environment, rather than seeing them as next years logs:thumbdown:

Thanks for clearing that up even though I made it as clear as mud :biggrin:

No tpo's or Con areas to stop him BUT, felling licence constraints might kick in if he fells over a certain volume of timber (not more than 5 cubic metres per calender quarter for own use) - see FC website for a PDF that goes in to loads of detail.

Irrespective of felling licences or not they still need to stay the right side of various wildlife legislation (nesting birds, various mammals in and around tree, bats etc).

This all assumes that there's someone around / bother to use the legislation to prevent or punish after the fact.

Edited by treedave
posts whilst I'm typing cos I'm slow!

Thats what I thought would be the case, so you just rely on someone appreciating mature trees in their natural environment, rather than seeing them as next years logs:thumbdown:

If you are concerned about the possible removal of next door's tree(s), then you can always outline your concerns to your Local Authority and get them to assess whether a TPO would be expedient. You can even do it anonymously if you're worried about any future comeback.