Any ideas why new 372xp would seize up ?

Gareth Smith

Hi, recently purchased a brand new 372xpg and only been used half a dozen times then it decided to just seize up.

Returned to shop and they took it apart and one of the guys said it had been run on neat fuel but there is no chance of this happening as I'm the only one using it and I mixed the fuel and I have been using same fuel for two other saws and blower. The piston and bore looked ok just the crank knackered. It's just bugging me why it would happen and when I get it back will it do it again ?

Similar thing happened to me with a MS660 13 months old but not many hours. The shop said they would return to Stihl who analysed the fuel mix which was OK. Stihl said as 13 months old no warranty but at least the shop fitted parts for free. Never found out cause.

Also crank went in a Stihl Brushcutter after a few hours use, got repaired under warranty.

As yours is a Husky (never had problems with them myself) it is probably just life being life...........or poor quality control?

How can they say it has been run on neat fuel if the cylinder wall and the piston is ok :confused1:

If run on neat fuel the piston would be very badly scored on the exhaust side. The crank bearings would eventually go due to overheating with no lubrication, but not before the top end goes.

I would guess at faulty crank bearings :thumbup1:

All I can assume is that the crank bearing was totally dry on assembly. If run dry even with oil in the fuel it would take a while to get inside the bearing, with tolerances being so fine it would be enough to damage the bearing. Just like bearings, oil seals need some lub on assembly.

All I can suggest is to remove the plug on a new motor and hand crank it for a while - even if it smokes on start up.

I can't see how a bearing could be faulty with modern production techniques on quality bearings used by Husky/Stihl.

I have had a faulty ball main bearing go on a used bike T100 yrs ago, it made a 1/2 spead rumble, so I assumed it was camshafts etc but it was the main bearing, with wear on both the inner & outer rings and with a few faulty balls, so when they all lined up every other rev it clunked.

Bearings can be damaged on assembly by pressure on the opposite ring; if say putting on a shaft a small tube needs to be put on the shaft to drive on - equally if being pressed into a casing a larger tube to drive on. If driven onto a shaft with outer pressure all the balls in the bearing and tracks will be damaged.

My 372 was the same, seized on the 1st day out, using Husky 2mix correct mixture. Sent it back under warranty and Husky sent a letter outlining saying it had no 2 stroke mix in. Strange that I finished the job with my big old Jonsered and 357 running out of the same can all day. Luckily my dealer stood up to them and insisted they honoured the warranty. Since re-build its now an excellent saw.

shouldnt have dropped it out the top of that tree i say gareth :laugh1:

not that you have :thumbup:

sshhhhhh mate i was hoping no one would find out :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replys and still a bit annoyed /confused about it all but spoke to them today and they said they now know it hasn`t had neat fuel in it and it has been repaired.

will find out more when i pick it up but on the phone i was informed its been fitted with new crank,piston and bore all fine.

possibility it was factory error either by dry fitted crank or pressed/put together badly as some people have said in some of the posts.

Just glad its ok and will be getting it back as apart from that little hiccup i think its a fantastic saw.

Thanks again for all your replys:thumbup: