PA1 and PA6(aw) pesticides training Derbyshire

Charlieh

I have two spaces left on a PA1 safe use of pesticides course on the 18th August near Belper and one space on the 19+20th for PA6(aw) training, for knapsack use, the aw add on is for application to water so Ideal if your planning to do japanese knotweed control, river side stump treatment etc. this will be near Ashbourne

If you are interested please PM me and i will send you more info relating to costs (its very reasonable!)

Charlie

I did pa1 andpa6 at otley but did not do the assessment because they said i did not need to as i was born before 1964 is this right? What would you use on japanese knotweed everything i use wont touch it so now i am strimming to keep it down?

MANY THANKS DAVID.

I did pa1 andpa6 at otley but did not do the assessment because they said i did not need to as i was born before 1964 is this right? What would you use on japanese knotweed everything i use wont touch it so now i am strimming to keep it down?

MANY THANKS DAVID.

you dont need the assessments if you can prove you used the equipment before the cut off date. Unless you are doing contracting in which case i think you need it, you certainly need pa6aw for watercourse work irrispective of age.

i think either repeated glyphosate treatment is safest, but if away from water you can use tordon22 i think.

strimming just causes it to spread wider rhizomially (? if thats a word) i belive.

charlie

MANY THANKS DAVID.

Hi David,

From a flow chart in the pesticides ACOP, if you can answer NO to ALL of the following, you do not need a certificate yet (their word, my italics):

Are you applying pesticides as part of a commercial service? (You are if the crops, land etc you are treating are not owned, occupied or rented by you or your employer, or you are applying pesticide to seed that will be used on land not owned, occupied or rented by you or your employer.)

Will you be applying pesticides on land which you or your employees do not own, rent or occupy?

Were you born after 31/12/1964?

Will you be directly and personally supervising someone who would need to hold a certificate but does not have one?

The best way to treat knotweed apparently is to apply glyophosate in late summer/early autumn, as the plant starts to store energy in the roots for winter. The glyphosate is then translocated into the root system and kills the whole plant.

The rate of uptake into the plant can be improved by bruising the leaves and stems, this can be done by beating with a stick!