So how big is yours then? !! Come on and joine the ivy league

bats-n-trees

In my wanderings I have seen a lot of ivy but the one pictured is the biggest stem I've ever seen .It is close to the veteran Ash I was measuring,and yes that is my walking stick -Don't ask !!!

So can you better it ? and what is the view on ivy-friend or foe? MY understanding is that it only starts to become a problem to a tree when the tree starts to decline. And does complete removal affect the tree vis a vis surface temperature etc ?

Can be good habitat for birds and BATS though !!

597659f8c0c9a_veteranashtreeandothersatleintwardine004.jpg.c13e11445f3c1f655888822cef745794.jpg

597659f8bf076_veteranashtreeandothersatleintwardine002.jpg.b070d01d567bf1ec29cc99e9c92ea7ef.jpg

597659f8bc45f_veteranashtreeandothersatleintwardine008.jpg.d67dfb030e37bb4a935131879fb80d09.jpg

597659f8adb32_veteranashtreeandothersatleintwardine012.jpg.42bfcacd1eeffeafbce805ddfe2af53f.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be both friend & foe.

I think you're right in terms of declining trees not being able to outcompete.

& ofcourse windthrow is an increased risk due to increased dense sail/weight.

Had a letter from a local member of the public recently saying that "they didn't want to tell me my job, but"................

"you have a huge Ivy problem, that will swamp & kill everything in it's path, you have to strip it, strip it all !!!!"

Had images of a B movie type Blob engulfing all in it's path :scared:

It's about balance in my eyes.

Safety, species variety & associated ecology.

Oh, & I do believe Steve means Bury st Edmunds in Suffolk, unless I've totaly missed your western humour :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

Hi Steve,

thanks for the info,at least I am in second place at the moment !! As a matter of interest how old do you think your ivy is and are there any ways of gauging the age in general terms. Yes I know initially someone will say it surely can't be older than the host tree it is on so age that and that is your answer. But I don't think it is as simple as that in some cases.Was there a previous host for example ? Also does any one use ivy wood for anything other than burning,-furniture,carving, turnery perhaps ?

Saw my first skylark of the season yesterday.Surely sunshine will soon be warming our backs.

All the best.

Batman.

Hi Monkey,

As I habitually takes photos of fungi as examples of natures works of art I am sure I will have one on the file.I will delve into the Edwards archives tonight and try and upload some.Broadband speed here is getting down to 1meg/s lots of the time now. Good old BT if only they were that slow at sending their invoice !!

Incidentally the ash tree with the fungi on is much more impressive size wise when you underneath it.The walking stick I borrowed just to get a sense of scale. I didn't have my dbh tape with me at the time. What age do you estimate it is ? The tree- not the walking stick.!!

Thanks for mentioning humour in relation to me.-Made my day !! I see you are still in the office.Not safe to go onto Hampstead Heath yet then ? !!!!!

Veteran Edwards.

Thanks for mentioning humour in relation to me.-Made my day !! I see you are still in the office.Not safe to go onto Hampstead Heath yet then ? !!!!!

Veteran Edwards.

Blackberry !!

you know, that new fandangled thing I was wrestling with in t'pub the other evening :biggrin:

Out with the team in one of the more 'picturesque' parts of HH currently :001_smile:

Around 200+ would be my guess based off the photos.

Blackberry !!

you know, that new fandangled thing I was wrestling with in t'pub the other evening :biggrin:

Out with the team in one of the more 'picturesque' parts of HH currently :001_smile:

Around 200+ would be my guess based off the photos.

I always understood it was a guy called Babbage that invented that !! Enjoy HH. Cold here in the boondocks.

Hi Steve,

thanks for the info,at least I am in second place at the moment !! As a matter of interest how old do you think your ivy is and are there any ways of gauging the age in general terms. Yes I know initially someone will say it surely can't be older than the host tree it is on so age that and that is your answer. But I don't think it is as simple as that in some cases.Was there a previous host for example ? Also does any one use ivy wood for anything other than burning,-furniture,carving, turnery perhaps ?

Saw my first skylark of the season yesterday.Surely sunshine will soon be warming our backs.

All the best.

Batman.

The Ivy is growing up a building, so it might be reasonable to ages the Ivy on the age of the building...possibly.

Suffolk Hotel in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, a 4 star hotel - The Angel Hotel, Suffolk

next time im in bury i'll get pics of the trunks