Pick a stove..

Tully

Ive narrowed my choices down to 3 but am hoping to get some information from anyone that has used one of these.

I need to heat 1 large towel radiator and 1 166L water tank (so 3k clip on will do). I need at least 4k to the dry side but hope for a tad more.

My choices are

1.Charnwood country 8 stove

WEIGHT 105 KGS

FLUE DIAMETER 150 MM

MAX HEAT OUTPUT 8 kW

CLEANBURNING Yes

AIRWASH Yes

BACKBOILER OPTION 3 kW - central heating stoves info

2.Aarrow ecoburn 11

WEIGHT 105 KGS

FLUE DIAMETER 150 MM

MAX HEAT OUTPUT 11 kW

CLEANBURNING Yes

AIRWASH Yes

BACKBOILER OPTION 3.4 kW - central heating stoves info

EFFICIENCY 74.7 %

3.Hunter Herald 8

WEIGHT 120 KGS

FLUE DIAMETER 150 MM

MAX HEAT OUTPUT 7 - 11 kW

CLEANBURNING Yes

AIRWASH Yes

BACKBOILER OPTION 5.5, 8.5 kW - central heating stoves info

EFFICIENCY 68.5 %

Apologies for another boring wood stove thread :laugh1:

We've currently got Charnwood country 12 (no back boiler), we're very happy with it, well built and does the job. In our last house we had an Aarrow stove, again well built, nothing to complain about although out of the two I'd chose the Charnwood. No experience of Hunter stoves.

Are they your only choices Tully?

Out of those three I'd say the Charnwood. Many of Hunters designs are over 20 years old and they've not come on much since then. The Aarows are not bad, but my installer mate doesn't rate them particularly highly, and he installs hundreds of stoves a year (wet and dry) and knows his stuff. He's prototyping his own stove at the moment which will be competing with the likes of Clearview and so on at the top of the market - but the whole thing has been designed as a result of working with so many stoves and learning the good and bad points of each.

The Aarows can also be a bit fussy about chimney height - I have a problem one with one of my own customers. Manual gives a minimum height which is a bit on the shy side, and when that doesn't work they say the minimum is "only a guide" and don't want to know!!

Andy

Clearview are possibly one of the best stoves you can buy.

Not a big fan of overnighting stoves myself. It can give me a hard time as a chimney sweep, give the customer a bigger bill for clearing it, as well as leading to problems, particularly in unlined chimneys, with tar and creosote creeping through upstairs walls and into bedrooms etc. It could also be argued that it's not doing the environment any favours having a stove smouldering all night, though obviously it doesn't bother everyone. With a decent stove and good wood you can have the fire away from scratch in the morning in the time it takes to make a brew.

Andy

Thanks for the link Dave.

Cheers Andy. They were the 3 that I narrowed it down to and I got some brochures today.

Charnwood have an interesting back boiler that comes in the form of a flue that can fit on to most of their dry models and does not take from the nominal output to the room.

I would say that charnwood are wining it at the moment but budgets have been set and I really do not want to hit over £1k. Hunter are definatley good value but the wet side is actually more than i need and less to the room.

If you have any other suggestions then im open to ideas.

requirements are.

2 - 3 k to water only. 5 k plus to room as living space is an open plan bungalow but my abode isn't huge so guessing about 50 m2 of space to heat.

Maximum width can b3 660mm to comply with HETAS and has to be 6 inch flue to comply with HETAS for burning wood.

Will be intouch soon Andy regarding the Briquettes, just waiting on an arrangement regarding storage facilities.

Tully

I personally love the Bullerjan stoves. My uncle in Germany has two in his house, and despite having a very modern woot pellet central heating system, he only ever uses the larger of the two Bullerjans, even when it's minus 20 outside. They are completely unique too - nothing comes close IMO for combining style and industrial craftsmanship:

Amazing-Wood-Stove-Design-%E2%80%93-Suped-Up-Bullerjan-4.jpg