Butchers Block

tony-d

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tony-d

Dean Lofthouse had a similar question on the 6th Feb so that may be worth looking at.

Below also is a link to a good page to read, you will see traditionally there have been many woods used for blocks albeit I would normally use/suggest Beech. Interesting to see that a butcher kept his block for life hence the extra thick block which allows it to be re surfaced when worn. Also there is agood explanation re end grain or side grain. Butcher block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that is useful.

Kraftinwood

Woodturning Large Bowls and Hollow Forms, Australian and Native Burrs.

Hi Tony-d

Dean Lofthouse had a similar question on the 6th Feb so that may be worth looking at.

Below also is a link to a good page to read, you will see traditionally there have been many woods used for blocks albeit I would normally use/suggest Beech. Interesting to see that a butcher kept his block for life hence the extra thick block which allows it to be re surfaced when worn. Also there is agood explanation re end grain or side grain. Butcher block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that is useful.

Kraftinwood

Woodturning Large Bowls and Hollow Forms, Australian and Native Burrs.

But nowhere does it mention Beech.

Sycamore or maple are used for sanitary reasons.:001_smile:

Hi Robbo

i was looking for a piece say 4ft long but i am not fixed on that, bigger smaller it doesn't really matter. Any ideas on the cost of such a piece.

regards

tony

hi tony,

ill check what we have tomorrow around 4ft, im sure there is a lump that length which is knot free, price-wise.... i really dont know!!!!! lol, im not greedy!! if your not in too much of a rush then we can sort out something im sure!! message me your no, cheers rob