reduction same as pollard?! what word to use!!!

what the hell is that i think i might be sick.....seriously that is topping if ever ive seen it,reductions are done to growth points that usually the tree can manage to heal over and not have a serious dormant bud explosion to make up for lost leaf area......unless there is a serious defect or issue with proximity ....

Hi MattyF,

Yes its very bad what happened to those trees. What happened was that cracks started to appear in my grannys house so she had the surveyours have a look at them, and what they established the cause of the cracks on the wall were the 2 poplar in the back of the garden. So they recomended the trees to be reduced, her house insuranse company paid and arranged the work to be done. I havent a clue who did the work on them but they where seriously hammered and left with a horrible shape too.

A couple of years after that I had just completed my National Dip in Arb and on one of my visits to her I saw the regrowth was getting big, so I offered to do the job of cutting it back to the previous points and make it into a pollard so every 3 to 4 years cut the growth back and manage it this way. So these pictures are the first cycle sinse the original reduction and when this happens the terrible work becomes very visible! And these days Im living with her and its coming the time to do it again and im not looking foward at all to them.

Hopefully when those pollard heads become more apperant it will make the tree less of a abortion gone wrong!

Anyway thats there story.

Jack

Like your groundie, she looks like she has a lot of experience. :001_cool:

Hi skyhuck,

You should see her sneading trees faster than you average groundie, no chainsaw trousers either, she so confident that her motto is, you only need chainsaw trousers if you are a begginner and have few hours of saw use. She's got a point dough...:001_tongue:

She's lovelly she really is, nothing puts her off giving a hand and she is the boss absolutly in control. I feel honoured to live with her in her last stage of life...

Jack