Poplar Removal

RC0

Lovely stuff.

When you make the cut on the top section do you step cut of just cut through as the crane lifts?

Ive never used a crane before and i always wonder about how the climber knows how the but end is going to react when its cut. By this I mean the butt end of the tree.....:lol:

Is there training in using a crane?

Tully, a straight-through cut is better, although sometimes not always possible if a top starts twisting in the wind etc, or the climbers work position is awkward. Steps cuts are ok on horizontal's because the crane is able to exert so much leverage that there’s very little shock-loading. This is also handy where one is looking to keep the section moving up, often referred to as a ledge-cut in the US....but then you must remember if you’re adding a balancer/sling just outside the cut then it should be set much looser than the other slings, otherwise your leverage is lost and a shock-load will incur.

If you do step-cut a top or vertical section then the cross-over between the two cuts is always better positioned on the compression side of the load, so maximum leverage is gained when cabling up. Step cuts are also useful when working with inexperienced tree-crane-operators, who feel more at ease in the fact that you are out of harm’s way while they make the lift. I’ve used step-cuts on many, many jobs with great success....although careful slinging and accurate pre-loading are imperative.

Tree-related crane-training is hard to come by. Mark Chisholm does workshops in Norway from time-to-time as already mentioned, and Mayer Tree Service in the US have just recently done similar: TreeBuzz Board: North American Hands -On Climber/Crane Training

If you are a competent, conventional tree rigger, then you can carry much of that over to tree/crane removals....doesn’t make you anywhere near qualified but it’s a good place to start. I was lucky to have lots of opportunity at a young age and have always been very comfortable with it, although it’s not for everyone. We're just scratching the surface here really, it’s a broader subject than a lot of people realise.

I have hosted some crane work on youtube if you’ve the time to scroll through my account: YouTube - ????? Recoates

there’s not too many verbal explanations but you should still be able recognize similar patterns and techniques throughout. Hope that helps.

Simon we were done for lunch but didn't rush to leave the site.

Thanks again

Edited by RC0

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for that Reg.

Ive always wanted to give a crane a go but so far all the jobs we've done we've been able to rig and dismantle or use a mewp.

I imagine it does save time but the client must be willing to absorb the extra cost of the crane.

Will have a look at your other videos and hopefully at some point will find an occasion that we can get a crane job in.

Tully

Sometimes the extra cost of the crane is minimal because of the amount of time able to be saved. Say for instance at a business park where cars need to be in and out and deliverys etc. Blocking the way and causing a nuisance for 2 days rigging and dismantling a tree would be far more costly than a crane for 3 hours and 8 cuts.

Probably not the best explanation but you know what I mean??

You can see straight away from them photographs that the climber and banksman/crane operator have a good communication system and plan. This is key.

Yeah,

What amazes me the most is how you can judge the large section being lift to know that the weight wont make it swing as you make the cut.

Rigging in a dismantle is different as the piece being cut is not going up but going down so you know where is a safe area to position.

I guess this comes with experience of these types of jobs.

The groundies must feel the pressure to clear the brash when such a large section is presented to them.

Yeah,

What amazes me the most is how you can judge the large section being lift to know that the weight wont make it swing as you make the cut.

Rigging in a dismantle is different as the piece being cut is not going up but going down so you know where is a safe area to position.

I guess this comes with experience of these types of jobs.

The groundies must feel the pressure to clear the brash when such a large section is presented to them.

Tully, you might be over-analyzing the whole thing to be honest. For many climbers and groundworkers, there is no better medicine to put you at ease than having a crane on site.

I imagine it does save time but the client must be willing to absorb the extra cost of the crane.

On the contrary, it can actually work out a whole lot cheaper, especially if you can nail a couple of jobs in the day. Good planning and all that....