2 way radios

hazzygawa

do they work well with chipper noise in the background or do they cut out

I have added a very small video clip taken from a recent photo shoot. At the top of the tree was a cameraman wearing a Stein System, both the Climber and Groundsman had a system and also the video cameraman. At all times these 4-people were in communication with each other and knew what was about to happen from the instructions given by the Climber. You will see the climber talking and the groundsman looks up at him - no shouting needed over the chipper running or the traffic. (Best viewed in Full Screen View)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR9jDfJjAvU]YouTube - ‪radio system‬‏[/ame]

• 1 month later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that the quality of the mike/headset is more important than the price of the radios themselves. Clarity of comms is whats needed. The experimentation to come up with the best combination to get the best results is what costs the money. The items themselves are not so dear. I am currently looking into LPD systems to see if they offer an improvement over the regular 446 systems, though I am happy with the results from my last project, things can always be improved. The next obvious "big step" is into the "business" quality radios, where a licence is required, but the risk of other users on frequency is eliminated. Tbh, a cheap set-up such as mine is ideal for most jobs, its been used on rigging jobs, crane jobs, "blind" traffic control jobs and so on. The only downside was when working near to a paintball range and they were on every available channel shouting "Go Go Go" every 5 mins. I dont know the range of the Stein kits, but many of that price range headsets have around a 500m range, which for a few of my jobs would not be adequate. Perhaps Nigel or Nick could enlighten me as to the range of their kits, and I should like to also know the working frequencies if you could pass this on.

Andy, When we release the comms set we will be recommending a specific brand and model of radio which has 8 main channels each with 8 sub-channels. This means there should always be an unused channel. I think you will be very unlucky if all 64 channels are being used at the sametime. As an update the comms system has now been fully tested to ensure they still have the same rating as the MSA HPE ear-defender (Chipper muff 32-snr). We are now awaiting the CE certification. This means they will be fully rated as Chipper Muffs.

In addition, If I were developing a headset system, I would use a common frequency such as the 446 PMR range, this then wuld make it affordable for the end user to add cheap sets for those jobs where maybe more users are required, such as stop/go comms where more than 2 need to communicate, for this then a basic cheap 2-way can be added to the link for negligible cost, just a thought.

How much are coms ear defenders, these days. I'm deaf in my left ear, have been since I was a kid, when theres a lot of noise, around I have no directional hearing, so I have trouble pin pointing a sound over the other sounds, so I am verry interested in having a set of these.

Wires to radio mp3 input sound cheaper, but I would just get pissed off with the wires.

v