sycamore bark peeling?

armchairarborist

normal sloughing off of bark plates

ok thanks, is there any reason for it? maybe blocked lenticells? was talking about this with a mate and we have both seen syccies of all sizes with smooth bark and then ones with the plated bark, whats the significance? or am i expecting too much from trees?:001_smile:

ok thanks, is there any reason for it? maybe blocked lenticells? was talking about this with a mate and we have both seen syccies of all sizes with smooth bark and then ones with the plated bark, whats the significance? or am i expecting too much from trees?:001_smile:

Are you sure they were both Acer Psuedoplatanus??

the ash and the sycamore, in fact may many trees start with a smooth bark, only forming plates in maturity, look at the younger growth on these sycamores and youll see this clearly, the further away from the newer growth down toward the stem base you get the rougher the bark, this even goes through another change as a sycamore goes into the ancient class.

The flaking bark is probably one of the characteristics upon which it's botanical name is taken: Acer pseudoplatanus: Pseudo (False) Platanus (Plane). The peeling bark is similar to London Plane.

Once they're old enough for the bark to start peeling IMO they often turn into worthy trees rather than weeds!

The flaking bark is probably one of the characteristics upon which it's botanical name is taken: Acer pseudoplatanus: Pseudo (False) Platanus (Plane). The peeling bark is similar to London Plane.

Once they're old enough for the bark to start peeling IMO they often turn into worthy trees rather than weeds!

I could not agree more, an ancient field grown sycamore is a sight to behold.:001_cool:

I could not agree more, an ancient field grown sycamore is a sight to behold.:001_cool:

hama i worked at a house which had two old sycamore pollards at the front, both were lapsed with about 30ft of growth on top, but the plates on the bark peeling off were as big as the palm of my hand. one of them has kretzmarina unfourtunately!