Magna Park, Rotherham.

PeteB

Just took the kids to Magna Science Park, in Rotherham. This is the second visit - I gift aided the 1st time , therefore we get in for nought 'til christmas. One of the old steel forges has been turned into an impressive visitor center and science park with an outside playground etc for kids. The type of exhibits include many that need buttons pushed and levers pulled in four separate areas inc fire, earth, water and air. On the hour there is a 15 minute "big Melt" whereby the steel smelting process is explained with a show involving the old forge crucibles. Fascinating but I would like to have worked there! Well worth the visit for younger kids as they would find many of the hands on stuff good fun.

IMG_5014.jpg.4d8ef92e5c39f71f120d4af9f1377a32.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg.18c557c38ecced06e2d0f7b890f1fb98.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg.dcbc3c034b00dc84f59e9ba31e5600dd.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg.6a5995c4e2d90b46129e2735fff6d137.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg.ecbc1867e008eb2531876ad069454fa5.jpg

Excellent pics pete,

Its just across the valley from me and the familys been but I havnt and they said it was interesting but a little scary due to the dark? lol

My grandad was killed in the forge many yrs ago and many relatives have lost their jobs in what was once our proud worldwide renowned steel industry but the Magna is a great feature that shows some of our old heritage and the possible dangers of working in such conditions.

sad point but a man was killed and another seriusly injured a week or 2 ago a minute up the road from the Magna at the re-cycling plant when an explosion blew a hole in the front wall.