Anyone at home ?

David Humphries

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mindful of the advise offered by 'bats n trees' regarding pines & bats, i've still chosen this standing dead pine as the host for this Schwegler.

I imagine with the clear flight path in, 'if' this gets used at all, any potential resident won't need to mess their fuzz up with all that nasty resin gunk, as they should go straight to the opening.

Time will tell :001_smile:

The cavity already has residents, a big fat mummy grey popped out once the drill started up :001_rolleyes:

IMG_1900.jpg.e5622442e06a24d676c3f225d2c96503.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg.1cdfe3bf7f407219331038daf4f6bdb7.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg.0661554243428072873adba077f16ae4.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg.04a6800bd3fc7355c26ce6bf21319039.jpg

Well hello again.

Having finished licking my wounds from a previous mauling I have foolishly come back for round two !!

Great instant photography to get those shots.Ideally for more certain ID of what bat species it is we need more pics and any observations of it's flight pattern,wing movements and speed etc that you may have managed to observe.

Obviously if you had had a bat detector running at the time then that would have made things much easier,-but hey ho here we go.

My view is that it can only be one of three species,Noctule,Leisler, or Serotine.

I am currently going to say it is a Serotine. Why you ask?

Well Noctules are the supersonic fighters of the the bat world.They fly high and fast -50kph has been recorded,and they attack their prey from behind in an aerial dive.Yes to confuse matters they will hunt small insects at tree height but their wing shape means they have to fly fast to keep manouvreability.

Leislers are a relation of the Noctule but smaller.They hunt similar prey but do so at a lower level and at much reduced speed.I don't think your bat is a Leisler because it looks too big to me,although it is hard to scale it.

Serotines are the other big bat species but have a much more leisurely flight pattern and tend to hunt a bit lower which is what your bat is appearing to do.

I will be interested to see what your licensed colleague has by way of opinion.

As a matter of interest the Bat Conservation Trust website has a few bat photos in their gallery.Photo 7 of the Serotine collection looks very similar to

yours.

The course was OK but I would be much more interested to hear about the forthcoming Ancient Tree Forum meeting if that is possible.

Nice meeting you both and talking Arb etc .You turned out to be Fungis !!!

Alan

Well hello again.

Having finished licking my wounds from a previous mauling I have foolishly come back for round two !!

Great instant photography to get those shots.Ideally for more certain ID of what bat species it is we need more pics and any observations of it's flight pattern,wing movements and speed etc that you may have managed to observe.

Obviously if you had had a bat detector running at the time then that would have made things much easier,-but hey ho here we go.

My view is that it can only be one of three species,Noctule,Leisler, or Serotine.

I am currently going to say it is a Serotine. Why you ask?

Well Noctules are the supersonic fighters of the the bat world.They fly high and fast -50kph has been recorded,and they attack their prey from behind in an aerial dive.Yes to confuse matters they will hunt small insects at tree height but their wing shape means they have to fly fast to keep manouvreability.

Leislers are a relation of the Noctule but smaller.They hunt similar prey but do so at a lower level and at much reduced speed.I don't think your bat is a Leisler because it looks too big to me,although it is hard to scale it.

Serotines are the other big bat species but have a much more leisurely flight pattern and tend to hunt a bit lower which is what your bat is appearing to do.

As a matter of interest the Bat Conservation Trust website has a few bat photos in their gallery.Photo 7 of the Serotine collection looks very similar to

yours.

The course was OK but I would be much more interested to hear about the forthcoming Ancient Tree Forum meeting if that is possible.

Nice meeting you both and talking Arb etc .You turned out to be Fungis !!!

Alan

all really good info Alan, i hope you meant funguys! lol:lol:

was good to meet you and i look forward to coming over to your neck of the woods sometime for some really batty evenings!:001_cool:

Well hello again.

Alan

Howdee Alan,

great info above, thanks for that.

tbh, i really can't recall any more info from that specific meeting with the bat. So can't expand further I'm afraid.

Will ask my colleague what she thinks & will get back to you.

Here's a link to the upcoming ATF trip.....

Moccas Park

Going to e-mail you on a couple of forum ideas in a day or two. :thumbup1:

regards

D