Assignment help

RobRainford

Hey guys I'm in need of some info for my work skills assignment

I am after information on how training and skill development benefits people in the industry, I want to look at this in a few parts, how just training people can affect work practice, either by making it safer or slowing it down, or how skill development by gaining experience through actively working can make you just as safe if not safer, quicker and more efficient.

In order to make this hit the learning outcomes, I need a case study, which is where it may get tricky. I m after information where ther has been an incident of some severity which has required a review of work practices and health and safety policies in some way.

I'm a little stumped by this and I know it may be difficult because of the topic, but my tutor has approved this.

If anybody can help there are a few options for contact, drop a PM on here, email me at [email protected]

Or

[email protected]

Phone or text on 07841 128 366

This is mainly aimed at business owners or managers as I need to have reference to companies within this assignment. This will be a written report on this topic and then followed by a 20 minute presentation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Rob

Does the incident have to be genuine..in the abscence of resources we often use simulation to achive learning outcomes? sorry if i'm missing the point but could you simply write an account of an incident which has happened within the industry, establish the factors leading to this and then retrospectively describe what should have been in place and thus what procedures would be need reveiwing?

Hi Rob

Does the incident have to be genuine..in the abscence of resources we often use simulation to achive learning outcomes? sorry if i'm missing the point but could you simply write an account of an incident which has happened within the industry, establish the factors leading to this and then retrospectively describe what should have been in place and thus what procedures would be need reveiwing?

Sorry Rob ..pressed the wrong button and posted before I had finished :blushing:

You could write an account of something you have experienced yourself..then reflect upon it so it becomes a written critical incident.Use reflective practice to show how you have analysed your findings to influence your own training requirements, leading to your own development via the improvement of skills ,professionalism, value to the local community, profession, colleauges etc.

Hope there may be something here that may help you?

regards

Dave

Thanks dave, that does help somewhat, but as the subject is Work Skills Development, this has to be a liaison with a company, i would happily conjure something up myself but half of this assignment is to demonstrate working relationships, so I have to get out there and ask, I thought this could be a handy gateway of maybe gaining a few contacts, although a subject like this is quite sensitive and people may be reluctant to release such information, other students are having similar problems with their topics due to this.

IM going to speak to the tutor and see if something of my own account could be used, although What i have experienced may not be enough to warrant a full presentation and report, i may have to include a couple of case studies.

thanks dave, had a look through there and it gives some ok information but as its just a report of whats happened it may be limited, as i have to look in to these further.

Ill have to see what the tutor says. its a tough one really, as the learning outcomes are difficult to meet whilst still being ethical and having a good assignment!

Hi, try making contact with one of the big plc companies. These firms usually hold OHSAS 18001 & will normally have a SHE Manager that maintains the "system".

Firms you could try are: UPM Tilhill & Fountains. West Coast Energy also have a SHE Manager & they regularly amend working practices as a result of a Near Miss or accident.

The "systems" approach is what Quality, Environmental & Safety Management systems are all about: implement - monitor - review - change - monitor - review etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rob

the sort of information you are after is collected and used by the sector skills council for the trees and timber industry.

in this case it is LANTRA SSC NOT lantra awards

Lantra - Raising skills, backing business in land-based and environmental industries

give them a ring if you cant find what you are after

here is a good place to start

Lantra - Lantra ? Inspirational Stories ? Land-based ? Environmental

Everything there is helpful, thanks for the input.

Here is what the assignment brief states:

The written report must:

· Explain the importance of the project’s topic to the arboricultural industry

· Show how the project was planned and implemented to meet specific aims

· Clearly state the project outcomes

· Critically evaluate the project for its design and what it has achieved

· Be pitched at other professionals in the industry in terms of its quality of presentation

and language used

The evaluative presentation must:

· Summarise the project activities and outcomes concisely

· Reflect on your own personal learning from undertaking this project

· State how you would approach a new project in the light of your work on this module

· Be pitched at other professionals in the industry in terms of its style and content

This cannot be a desk study i.e. i cant sit on my computer and find all information, which is where I have to find a case study which i can communicate between a firm willing to help or anybody else willing to help, the case studies shown are good information, but as i have no further contact with the people involved it turns it into a desk study.

Getting tricky.