Homemade skidding arch- pictures

the crafty weasel

So yeah, after succesfully modifying my splitter to lift dumpy bags I thought I'd save myself £700 and build a skidding arch to fit behind my Allen mayfield two wheeled tractor. Here it is so far, the only new thing on there is the trailer winch which I had thrown in with my Ifor williams and never fitted. Wheels are from an old static caravan, frame is scaffolding tube. The angle iron on the axle is only there to line up the stubs as they're being welded, the arch will be open at the bottom once it's finished. Next to be fitted is the seat, and some drop down ground anchors for winching. I'll update this once I've made more progress.

the-crafty-weasel-albums-randoms-picture3695-16012011004.jpg

Loking good CW, have you angled the arch back slightly behind the axle? I find that when lifting the butts up they hit the axle and need a bit of assistance into the bed if the arch is "square" over the axle

It's not going to have a bed; I'll be cutting out the axle in the centre so that the bottom of the arch is open, and I'll winch the butt up then keep it suspended with a choker chain. I only put in the temporary axle to make sure the wheels are parallel with one another.

Smart bit of kit. Any pics of the tractor mate?

Cheers,

Sam

I'll be digging it out of the back of the shed next weekend, will get some pics then.

found this site which shows one. Mine is like that, only with the cast iron wheel strakes that bolt onto the wheels, and a front weight instead of the mower.

Mayfield Tractor

I'll be digging it out of the back of the shed next weekend, will get some pics then.

found this site which shows one. Mine is like that, only with the cast iron wheel strakes that bolt onto the wheels, and a front weight instead of the mower.

Mayfield Tractor

Ive got a plow and a cultivator bar in the shed for 1 of those.