Husq SG13 vs Carlton 900 vs Rayco RG13

aob9

I'm new to this forum but I've read as many previous threads as I can find on the subject of "walk behind " 13HP stump grinders.

After much research and phonecalls I have narrowed my options. I would appreciate any opinions on choosing between these three models. Here's the breakdown.

Husqvarna SG13 "almost new" with full 12m warranty £2500 incl VAT.

Rayco RG13 new £3540 incl VAT.

Carlton 900 second hand, was used as hire machine. Fully serviced,new bearings etc. Seller is reputable outlet here in Ireland. Sterling equiv. £2000 incl. VAT.

Stump removal is only an occasional task for me. Most of my work is in general garden maintenance and landscaping. I have turned down a few clearing jobs because I don't have a stump grinder. Access is important for many of my jobs. My chosen machine won't be working on a daily basis so I don't want to spend any more than I have to.

Thanks for reading.

Hi mate I've got the Bluebird sg13 which Husky bought out and re badged. I've had it for eight years and its been a bloody good tool. The only down side is the price for spares if you need them, I got a quote for a new clutch from Husquvarna of £1000 and ended up getting it from wheaterbys for £165 all in so you ve got to watch. I have'nt got any knowledge of the others so cant comment. Would look about abit before I paid £2500 for second hand as I think you should pick one up for under 2k without to much problem

I'm new to this forum but I've read as many previous threads as I can find on the subject of "walk behind " 13HP stump grinders.

After much research and phonecalls I have narrowed my options. I would appreciate any opinions on choosing between these three models. Here's the breakdown.

Husqvarna SG13 "almost new" with full 12m warranty £2500 incl VAT.

Rayco RG13 new £3540 incl VAT.

Carlton 900 second hand, was used as hire machine. Fully serviced,new bearings etc. Seller is reputable outlet here in Ireland. Sterling equiv. £2000 incl. VAT.

Stump removal is only an occasional task for me. Most of my work is in general garden maintenance and landscaping. I have turned down a few clearing jobs because I don't have a stump grinder. Access is important for many of my jobs. My chosen machine won't be working on a daily basis so I don't want to spend any more than I have to.

Thanks for reading.

Hi

i first imported the Bluebird SG13 into the UK [now the Husky] and worked some demo machines very hard, they put up with it. The original teeth with a roll pin can be replaced with the non roll pin type which are much cheaper.

I see Jammy Dodger has already poited out about parts prices and that Weatherby engineering is a great place to buy clutches from at much better prices.

If you are only using seldom why not hire in on a day rate ? How many hires will it take to get you to £2500 ?

Look on mascus.com for loads of plant from across Europe, there are some good deals. A friend of mine bought a Husky SG13 from an auction for £550 a couple of months back as no one there wanted it, case of right place right time that was Cheffins machinery auctions at Cambridge.

i had a sg 13 and was not happy with it as the cutter wheel kept busting the wood ruff key on the shaft, i bought the machine brand new and it had only occasional use, after a year i had to have the cutter wheel shaft replaced due to the woodruff key breaking, it cost me quite a bit, i had the machine for another 6 month and it did it a couple more times and then i had enough.I had to replace the brake pads on it and they cost £100.

i got rid of the machine and got a large carlton 2700 remote control machine and a carlton 900 for the smaller, narrow access stuff, i sold the 2700 a couple of months ago and have kept the 900. its a cracking machine, very well built. my only niggle with it is the handle bars dont adjust up and down like the sg. overall i would rate the carlton more.

If you are only using seldom why not hire in on a day rate ? How many hires will it take to get you to £2500 ?

Would if I could. I live in Cork in Ireland. Very difficult to hire a stump grinder around here and even if I could it would probably be wrecked.:thumbdown:

i bought a new sg 13 about 6 months ago was a bit sceptical about the new head only 3 teeth on it but these can be rotated 3 times before sharpening. turned out a great job and saves a lot of hassele running back and forht to hire centres paying big money for worn out machines and not having to wait for hire machine to be free.

You can do fell then get on with stump alli in one day. and its light enough for to men to lift in and out of back of truck and small enough to chip past.

Ive done some big stumps with it no bother it just gives a bit more of an upper body workout plus you will always find one groundie who loves stumpgrinding at least thats been the case everywhere ive ever worked