Grey Poplar, Uses?

Mr Org

I have a monster of a grey poplar to take down in a few weeks, biggest tree to date. Just put together a Stihl LSG950 (I think it is anyway). Have an 070 on one end 660 on the other - 660 missing in pic. Not done any milling before.

Just wondering if the poplar will be any good for weather boards on the outside of my workshop (if treated). It is such a huge tree and turning it into 6 billion matches wil take too long.

Any suggestions on use for it wlecome.

Finally, comments on keeping the twin engined LSG or shall I ditch it and get a 36" Alaskan?

Thanks

IMG_1640_1.jpg.56d151911030d1a8895ca430faa61083.jpg

I have a monster of a grey poplar to take down in a few weeks, biggest tree to date. Just put together a Stihl LSG950 (I think it is anyway). Have an 070 on one end 660 on the other - 660 missing in pic. Not done any milling before.

Just wondering if the poplar will be any good for weather boards on the outside of my workshop (if treated). It is such a huge tree and turning it into 6 billion matches wil take too long.

Any suggestions on use for it wlecome.

Finally, comments on keeping the twin engined LSG or shall I ditch it and get a 36" Alaskan?

Thanks

when using double head mills it is a "must" that both are the same power other wise you will knacker either one or both. i have got 3 Sperber mills, 2x 4ft and a 3ft and run 076avs on them. i also run an Alaskan mill with a 60" bar on an 880. if you get in touch with Rob D he can supply you with a handy helper. this takes the place of one of the drive heads on the double ender. i know the 660 is 3/8 but what is the 070?

when using double head mills it is a "must" that both are the same power other wise you will knacker either one or both.

damn straight, like having a tug of war between high torque and high rpm... it would not be good for chain, clutches and possibly crankshafts (if the chain and clutches held out long enough). wouldnt end well anyway. even with two identical powerheads you'd need to tune to matching engine rpms.

Thanks for the helpful replies. The 070 is .404 so I think the 'helping hand' may be the answer, I realised the 660 wouldn't work as soon as I borrowed it this morning. The same mate I work with has an 880 so we were looking at using that when talking today but I understand what you are saying about the slower reving high torque of the 070 even coupled with the 880. Doubt I'll ever find another 070 and even if I did I would need a timber crane to get the thing started on the log!

Helping hand looks like the way, or maybe put the LSG on ebay and get an alaskan for the 070.

Thanks again.

Doubt I'll ever find another 070 and even if I did I would need a timber crane to get the thing started on the log!

if you do use a double head mill you start them on the ground then lift them onto the log. even with both heads going flat out you will find that one will stall and will have to be started on the log. just make sure that you are at the end that is the right way up that way you dont get covered in as much saw dust. check your air filters at every fill, wear a mask and goggles.