chainsaw modification

MarshallArb

i have an old husqvana 346xp and im wondering if there is anyone out there with the know how to make a tuned exhast expansion chamber.

saw a lad at the apf running one on a 357xp

i dont use the saw anymore realy and just wanted to have a play arround

any hotsaw info will be gratefully recieved

i know generaly people modify the bigger saws but this is the only one i dont use daily anymore. cos im assuming any mods will probably invalidate its health and safety compliance.

I like your approach.

Great giving life to an unused saw.

Nice saw to mod.

Yes HSE is an issue, but plenty here use them modded.

You will get plenty of feedback on this, but in short, if you have any basic mechanical know how, you will be able to modify your own can.

Just work out the surface area of the exhaust port, then make the area of the outlet of the exhaust itself no bigger than 80% of the port area. Then re set carb.

Will be a massive increase in power, cheap, and will give you a smile.

Only the first step in modding, but then you can dig deeper if you get the buzz!

I ran a tuned pipe on my modified Partner 5000 plus and seen another 30% faster cut times compared to muffler.

Guys in USA and Canada get $200-$250 for good ones.

Is he talking just a muffler or tuned pipe?

If just a 346 non-cat muffler that is a easy one.

Edited by Cut4fun

I ran a tuned pipe on my modified Partner 5000 plus and seen another 30% faster cut times compared to muffler.

Guys in USA and Canada get $200-$250 for good ones.

Is he talking just a muffler or tuned pipe?

If just a 346 non-cat muffler that is a easy one.

am going to do a muffler mod to start with but what i saw at the apf was a tuned pipe and realy want more info on where i can get a tuned pipe from.

I know guys in Canada that make tuned pipes if you want to try and contact them. Also guys in US, but they are harder to get to build one for $$$.

Here is my 5000 on muffler cold start racing. Now picture 30% faster on pipe.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Cut4fun

Do you mean a big pipe like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovJD_Ozbng&feature=related]YouTube - 026 piped chainsaw[/ame]

Loads of info on arboristsite. Its very technical and the pipes are built by hand to suit the porting work on the saw.

Do you mean a big pipe like this?

Loads of info on arboristsite. Its very technical and the pipes are built by hand to suit the porting work on the saw.

yeah somthing like that is what i saw at apf.

but it curled up and around the side of the side plate so that fumes were chucked out the back near the rear handle.

will have a look on arborist site.

ive found the people with the know how to build them (mainly for motorbikes) but am strugling to work out dimensions.

there is a bit of info out there to work it out on the dimensions from:

BMEP, exhaust port dimensions, angle, port open angles on crank, bore, stroke...................etc

but its a bit beyond my GCSE Maths and Physics.