tailor made splitter

ashman

I have been having thoughts about a purpose made splitter.

I want a splitter that will handle large volumes of poplar, i have been thinking about building one that has a 16 way split on it, very similiar to the splitting option you get on the palax 100s.

My line of thought is this, with the amount of poplar i am looking at, lots of it is too big for a processor, 18"+

As i dont own a processor anyway, instead of the outlay on one, a good man with a saw can ring a lot of poplar in a day, albeit not as uniform as a processor.

Once i have a fair amount of rings ready, then one pass with a large way splitter and job done, i have a method for feeding the rings from heap to splitter.

I dont see this method been much slower, if any, than sawing lengths into 1.6 mtrs, splitting in half to fit a processor, feeding and processing, but without the outlay of the processor.

The splitter would be purpose built for the pop, but with the option of a changeable splitting head, ie, a 2 or 4 way head than can easily be changed via a quick release pin.

I have most materials in the workshop and the knowledge to build said splitter, but, what do you reckon, am i crazy or is it viable ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if you can do it and make it work then you'd have a very desirable machine that, if priced right, would sell very very well in the UK.

I'd almost think it might be worth looking buying a knife to fit one of the mainstream processors and building the rest of the machine around it - gettign the 16 way knife set up and workign well from scratch, when splitting as many ways as you want it to will take many many times longer than you'd think.

you will need a beast of a ram/pump but it sounds the way to go, get a long ram and split a few rings at once:thumbup1:

I already have a ram in mind, lets just say it wont be the ram that lets go !! and the stroke is long enough to fit four rings in at a time, i reckon i can get the pump and aux settings right so that it wont have a huge cycle either, but i will go into that in more detail before i start building.

I reckon if you can do it and make it work then you'd have a very desirable machine that, if priced right, would sell very very well in the UK.

I'd almost think it might be worth looking buying a knife to fit one of the mainstream processors and building the rest of the machine around it - gettign the 16 way knife set up and workign well from scratch, when splitting as many ways as you want it to will take many many times longer than you'd think.

Thanks, perhaps i aint as crazy as some may think, i also believe there would be a market for such a machine

you will need a beast of a ram/pump but it sounds the way to go, get a long ram and split a few rings at once:thumbup1:

The theory's a good one but unless the ends are all perfectly square it doesn't work well at all as they would tend to try and push upwards once they were under load and for how long it would take to load lots of rings neatley comapred to chucking one in at a time, I'd rather have a short ram with big power, that also had a fats ram speed so while it was splitting/returning I could be ready with the next ring.