will work in exchange for climbing practice!

mick flanagan

hi,

my name's mick and I have recently gained my CS30/31 and LANTRA CERT - use of stumpgrinders and use of wood chippers. I did this as part of my resettlement from the Army. I have climbed whilst doing my resettlement course, which was down in Kent, however didn't feel quite ready to take the CS38/39 assesment. So I am offering to work for someone in exchange for some climbing practice. I understand not many people will want an inexperienced climber hindering their work, however I would very much appreciate the chance to gain my CS38/39 as the assesment has already been paid for by the Army.

As I said I am willing to work for free, doing anything that may be required. Being an ex soldier and 24 years old, I am hard working and will not complain about the job, weather, being tired, hungry etc! I live in Wath-Upon-Dearne in Rotherham, and I would be willing to travel a reasonable distance.

Thanks for reading this and I very much hope to hear from someone soon!

mick

what i did when i was starting out was ask a farmer if i could cut down his old dead trees and overhanging branches in the fields and i would stack all the branches and logs, he was delighted, before long he would lend me his tractor and trailer and let me burn branches aswell and get a little yard too.

all the best.:thumbup1:

I wish I could Help Mick but Im right down on the south coast of England, but Im sure someone will be more than happy to give you some climbing practice. I wish you all the very best mate and hope you hook up with somebody that loves the job and not a slave driver. It makes a world of difference :001_smile:

Mick,

Its just a case of being persistant ans asking local folk an tree companies for an opportunity.

I left the services in June, and did ground work, chipping ect, for free with few local companies, and bombed them with questions, tree idents, fungi, saws, climb kit ect and they were mega helpfull and really posotive and encouraging. As were the folk on this forum, they offer stacks of posotive help and you will get an answer to every question.

I did my resettlement at Merrist Wood, then left the service, and went into full time employment. You do start on the ground and go for every opportunity to climb. You may not be fast or experianced but its the ony way to learn, and most lads will accept and understand, they were there at one stage, remember that.

As for the service attitude, you take so much away from the services, kit, admin, timings ect, its a massive help doesnt go unnoticed.

I wish I could have you with me mate, but im down near Portsmouth. Im getting my own smally jobs now, if it takes me all day to do, so be it. Its learning and experiance. It all counts.

If I can help or you need any assistance, PM me.

I hope you had a good Christmas,

Regards

Larry.