Planning refusal, premises needed....

J.D

Morning folks,

Our local council has refused us informally for a change of use of a domestic Garage(a very large garage) to a store / workshop on the grounds that it's in a residential area and there is insufficient land around the property ? Not sure why this would matter but still, they say I would have to apply for planning permissions and they would look unfavourabley at it.

So, What options are likely to be open to me taking into consideration we have looked at renting and been put off by high rents and locations etc.

How much for instance would it cost to buy say a piece of farm land and erect a steel building, perhaps 50 ft x 50ft give or take, would the council allow this kind of development ?

I know this is a bit ambiguos (sp) but I'm at a bit of a loss really men.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Many Thanks

JD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

send a pic, if they are talking about 'land around the building' what is the reason? is it for parking? or pedestrian access?

p.s. why tell them? if its only a storage facility

The land around the building issue is to do with works vehicle parking I think.

We are wanting to use the building as a workshop also mate.

They say there will be noise and other problems created for neigbouring properties etc.

It's not going to be easy as put yourself in your neighbours shoes- would you move to a residential area and put up with too much noise/ vehicle movements.

Do what I did years ago- just do it/ keep on good terms with your immediate neighbours and hope no one complains.

If you go through planning I reckon someone will object!

Getting a farmer to sell you a piece of land for you to erect shed could be your best bet but planning will still want to know.

The other option is to buy an industrial unit and pay business rates- these are not too high- it allows you to conduct your business with your head held high- you can recoup the cost of the unit when you sell making it effectively rent free. Business rates with rate relief about £80-200 per month depending on size and council.

It's just great to have your business separate from you home and be free from landlords.

It's not going to be easy as put yourself in your neighbours shoes- would you move to a residential area and put up with too much noise/ vehicle movements.

Do what I did years ago- just do it/ keep on good terms with your immediate neighbours and hope no one complains.

If you go through planning I reckon someone will object!

Getting a farmer to sell you a piece of land for you to erect shed could be your best bet but planning will still want to know.

The other option is to buy an industrial unit and pay business rates- these are not too high- it allows you to conduct your business with your head held high- you can recoup the cost of the unit when you sell making it effectively rent free. Business rates with rate relief about £80-200 per month depending on size and council.

It's just great to have your business separate from you home and be free from landlords.

I would love to buy a unit but I don't know of any available at the right price mate.

As for just going ahead regardless, I this not a major risk ? They would have me closed down in no time and I'd be stuck with something I maybe couldn't sell on, I'd be tempted mind you, as there isn't a great deal of other options locally.

How much are we talking about for a bit of a farmers field btw ?

Cheers

How much are we talking about for a bit of a farmers field btw ?

How longs a piece of string!?

Someone near me recently bought loads of acres for 5-10K/acre.

A house down the road needed 1 acre for a garden/parking before it could be sold... they were charged well into 3 figures for 1 acre!!!

How longs a piece of string!?

Someone near me recently bought loads of acres for 5-10K/acre.

A house down the road needed 1 acre for a garden/parking before it could be sold... they were charged well into 3 figures for 1 acre!!!

Suppose so, I better get looking then, those steel buildings dont cost that much to erect I think i heard somebody say, so it might work out about the same money at a push !!!

Heres hoping anyways.

Morning folks,

Our local council has refused us informally for a change of use of a domestic Garage(a very large garage) to a store / workshop on the grounds that it's in a residential area and there is insufficient land around the property ? Not sure why this would matter but still, they say I would have to apply for planning permissions and they would look unfavourabley at it.

JD

This is just my advice from experience of these thing.

Go ahead a do it. The council won't be interested unless someone complains.

If they do the planning officer will pay a visit and ask you to formally apply for planning. If they refuse your application you have the chance to appeal.

Now, all this takes a long, long time. You are not doing anything illegal here either.

If they refuse the appeal they might serve you with an enforcement notice, in which case you have to switch it back to a garage. However, you'll have had plenty of use from it in the meantime.

Good luck.