I'm looking for a cheap acre or two of land

Carl

I don't really know too many land owners to be honest and I would prefer to own it myself really as it would take around 5-6 years to see a return on my investment and a lot could happen in that time between the relationship with the owner

I am looking for a bit of land as cheap as poss in the northwest, help pls

No such thing buddy. Sorry.

Depends waht you want it for but I would talk to either a local land agent (Strutt & Parker, Smiths Gore, Savilles, Jackson Stops & Staff etc.) or an estate close by and ask about waste pasture, or similar. See what they say, you might get lucky, but I reckon you get taken if you buy less than 35ac, the price is much lower if you are buying a bigger quantity - you can sell it off later remember.

Sorry to put a downer on it, but when I have money I will invest it in land, they dont make it any more.

Sam

You'll have more chance looking for a small woodland plot.

People are now realising that instead of buying a small idyllic woodland they can spent quality time in, they have infact bought a liability which they need PL insurance for and need money to spend on maintainance to prevent the possibility of being sued

I'd put in an wanted advert in your local rags for a small woodland or agricultural patch for use by a local tree surgeon as a yard.

You'll have more chance looking for a small woodland plot.

People are now realising that instead of buying a small idyllic woodland they can spent quality time in, they have infact bought a liability which they need PL insurance for and need money to spend on maintainance to prevent the possibility of being sued

I'd put in an wanted advert in your local rags for a small woodland or agricultural patch for use by a local tree surgeon as a yard.

i thought of this but there's so many things you can't do on woodland including 'run a business' so i ruled it out- I'd love to hear from anyone who has managed to get round this one.

Trouble with woodland is there's generally a neighbour or a footpath nearby that is used by walkers who would complain if you started messing things up which you would invariably do with a business( hardstanding/structures that are secure/ tracks in and out/ bonfires/ compost heaps/ woodchip heaps)- would be a great place to run a landscape orientated business though

Well I currently have around 1.85 acres of woodland with a tpo on it which prevents me from planting Christmas trees comercially so I am looking to either sell or swap or get the fc grants and carry out all necessary work and then sell to buy more suitable land for my purpose

I bought a woodland and made a clearing to store logs and chip, put up a wooden structure open fronted barn.

You can clear a small opening ( with the blessing of the forestry comission ) as I did on your quarterly felling allowance, as long as the stocking density remains the same.

In other words plant new trees somewhere else where the woodland is thin.

The only problem I can forsee is if you want a container on site

If your concerned about it give planning a ring, tell them your thoughts and pick their brains.

I personally would buy first then act later, even if you dont get to use it, it would be a good investment if you didn't pay over the odds for it.

My 3.5 acres of woodland cost me £10K.

Edited by Dean Lofthouse