Firewood delivered in builders bags

davidjm55

I came on the forum a few days ago, we are going to start buying standing timber in a month or so. Thanks to those of you who responded to me, I'll be getting back to you in a couple of weeks or so.

At the moment I have about 150 tonnes of mixed timber in my yard of which approx 70-80 tonnes is mixed hardwood and I am seriously considering processing it into logs that we would put into bulk builders bags. I'm not really interested in the retail market and would prefer, if possible, to supply wholesale say a minimum of 30 bags at a time to someone who retails. I've got my own 18tonne flatbed with a loglift hiab that is ideal for delivering.

I was wondering whether a price of say £40- 45 per bag delivered within 50 miles of Birmingham would be of interest to anyone.......

It depends how big the bags are, for an 80x80x80cm bag (0.5 cubic meters) that is expensive wholesale, if they are the big 1 cubic meter or 1.2 cubic meter bags then thats not too bad.

I can get kiln dried hardwood imported from lithuania for £140 for 2 cubic meters tightly packed delivered to my yard.

Hope that helps

Kev

Thanks for letting me know, I'm trying to get an indication of what is possible, and obviously what determines everything is the final price we can sell at, and what the competition is. We are in a position where we could buy a reasonably decent stand of timber of maybe 200 tonnes and then fell and extract it ourselves and process it into firewood and bag it up, and deliver it ourselves. We have most of the men and equipment in place already and in 2 or 3 weeks I want to get started. It may work out that we have to process the firewood and then leave it for a while to season before we can sell it, or even sell it as is if anyone is interested. I really appreciate the info you've given me, I'll go back to the drawing board and perhaps take a look at bagging the logs up into 1m3 bags rather than builders bags.