Need help on pruning and pollarding!

ms660isthebest

Just general info on what trees can be pollarded and trees that need to go back to a grow points. When you can go back to pegs. Due to the fact a bloke who i work with is butching trees. (I think he is) Any books or rule of thumbs.

with pruning you want to bring back the branch to a growth point no smaller than 1/3 of the size of the cut on that branch if that makes sense. pegs are a no no.

pollarding there is different kinds there is straight stem pollard, which is basically a straight up clean pole, or you can do a pollard with staffolds ie leave some main frame work on the tree.

Thanks cricket t thats what i thought. But with the staffolds hes leaves a few with grow points on? Should you strip all of it off? He getting me to reduce a 60 foot ash next week by 50 percentage thats to much to take off aint it?

when i pollard i personally like to take all growth off it, but im far from a expert on pollards.

its not going to be good for the tree reducing a big ash by 50% but alot of people on here would do it im sure. percentage reductions some peoples 50% is actually more like 30% and so on hard to judge by a percentage. at the end of the day if you do all the finishing cuts right and do the 1/3 rule and leave it looking a nice shape, whos to argue with it.

its always advisable to leave some viable sap risers on each pollard stem, it does help it recover makes a big difference

I always try to do this too, but some clients want them cleaned, always worth explaining it too them in the hope they will go with it.:thumbup1:

it depends on the tree,but its good to leave the odd stem or young riser on it here & there thats viable,it can always come off a year or two down the line,just helps the tree getting its sap up,I'm no expert so I'm sure Hamma can come back explaining it better(Ive also enjoyed half a bottle of sherry,it's me age you see)!:001_smile::nurse:

it depends on the tree,but its good to leave the odd stem or young riser on it here & there thats viable,it can always come off a year or two down the line,just helps the tree getting its sap up,I'm no expert so I'm sure Hamma can come back explaining it better(Ive also enjoyed half a bottle of sherry,it's me age you see)!:001_smile::nurse:

i very rarely get to do pollards its either fell or reduce round here, interesting learning little things like that though :thumbup1: ahhh that point in your life when you get to drinking sherry say no more :laugh1: