Griffola

David oakman

I have been recording all the fungi on my trees in the park for about 8 years and every year i get some griffola but this is the first time with two fronds on the same tree is this usual? also i never get it back on the same tree twice have people seen it fruit more than once on the same tree?:001_smile:

597658904c720_griffola052.JPG.9382c41f9f6cd38fc63a6ce9591e0f8d.JPG

5976589048915_griffola051.JPG.2281086da27ad85a9228635d4ba7d4c3.JPG

that trees got dryadeus too, lovely image of the butt swellings associated with both these fungi, later youll see very pronounced surface roots and wide low profiling to them.

An interesting fungi the grifola, have you read Andrew cowans piece on it using the airspade? In that article you see the rather large sclerotia, or tuber as its described in that article. It takes a lot of resources and energy to produce these, and like the dryadeus, not suprising that it is an infrequent fruit, building its reserves for a "good year" like the dryadeus, its living on the old wood, and can only really feed on what becomes avaliable as the oak grows and lays down more old heartwood in the roots.

Fungi do cause failures of course, but only when the tree is weakened and the fungi can take a lot more than it is ordinarily able to.

Yes Andrew sent me the PDF last year very good i thought. I wish we had funds for work like that but they dont really like my time surveying fungi:001_smile:

Yes it is an excelent piece, ive always been a big fan of Andrews work, hes been a BIG influence on me over the years.

have you not thought about trying for funding/support by yourself for your own researches into the trees/fungi/ecology of your great site:001_smile:

I have been recording all the fungi on my trees in the park for about 8 years and every year i get some griffola but this is the first time with two fronds on the same tree is this usual? also i never get it back on the same tree twice have people seen it fruit more than once on the same tree?:001_smile:

We have trees that have two clumps on david.

Also I think Grif can have the habit of fruiting every couple of years, having a rest between fruiting years.

Here's one I came across a couple of weeks back at a wood in Potters bar that has three clumps.

IMG_8943.JPG.fa4025c8dd0ef67e9463af382ea1817d.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D