Back up your ascenders

Pete Mctree

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would that have happened on a single line?

Exactly. It wouldn't have happened with a properly set up Frog system.

The main point is that this technique was allowed in the GTGCP, and is even recommended for rescue???

The second point is that the technique is still considered acceptable, after so many known near-misses/accidents using it.

By the time back-up measures are installed, you could have installed a much safer single line system.

Even with back-ups there would still remain a question to their effectiveness, and other risks (to the twin ascender technique) would still remain.

The technique is not 'Double Rope Technique' (DRT) as stated. It is still a single line, but doubled. DRT is two separate lines independently anchored. If the climber was using DRT, he probably wouldn't have fallen.

"The HSE found no-one at fault"

A bit rich that. How about themselves or the authors for condoning the technique in GTGCP. Next we'll be told the same authors are responsible for the GTGCP review :ohmy::sad:

I dont think that could of happened on a single line as the croll (or similar) would still be operating (acting as a backup). i might be wrong though.

That is correct. Plus the rope can be easily secured to single ascenders, including the chest ascender, by clipping the top holes. The rope can also be retained by clipping below.

I find it interesting that competitions are recommended as updating, when comps popularised the technique in the first place.

Techniques and equipment used in competition are not necessarily appropriate to the work site. The ITCC events are an extreme sport. I like them for that, but they are not often appropriate for resolving professional risks. :001_cool:

Double ascenders with no back up are no longer a part of the ITCC. They may have popularised the technique, but now they are leading the way in getting rid of it.

Hallelluilia!!!!! Pity there is no facility for using a safer SRT system (until the masters).

In this respect, the comps are not being very progressive.

The comps could set a benchmark for safe SRT that might feed back more positively to industry.

Hallelluilia!!!!! Pity there is no facility for using a safer SRT system (until the masters).

In this respect, the comps are not being very progressive.

The comps could set a benchmark for safe SRT that might feed back more positively to industry.

Anyone is free to use SRT in the rescue. The ascess line is there, what you do with it is up to you.

The only other relevant applications I can think of would be access to the work climb, and again, if you wanted to use srt i cant see it being a problem. Last comp I did i got a lift in the mewp, as did everyone else.

As for the footlock event, if you dont like it dont do it. You wont lose many points by skipping it.