Veteran trees and industrial and urban development

Xerxses

Sometimes the urban development catches up with the rural life of a tree...

This oak used to be in a junction where one road led down to the river and to the crossingpoint where everything northbound had to pass, the other road turned left and took everything westbound. Time passed and one of the roads were moved, a bridge was built elsewhere and the mighty old oak ended up in a private garden. The owner started a buisness and the buisness grew and the tree ended up with less and less space around its trunk. Years later the buisness is prosperous and needs to expand. They approach the council and applied for a new road to be built, unfortunatly there was an old miserably looking tree, not even fit for firewood, in the way. They asked if they could knock the tree down and build a new exit for 24 meter lorries... But action was taken, thanks to the old neighbour who could tell the papers the story of the tree, and the council biologist who claimed the biodiversity value, and a nutty arborist who said "lets try to save this one!" To cut a long story short.... this is the story of a tree who will have a special treatment due to its historical value and as a symbol for biodiversity and veteran trees...

(Looks like I´m getting myself a picture thread thread...:blushing:)

The County Administrative Board acnowledged its importance and its now part of the collection of valuable trees in the county (#2188) The council have put a "Council nature reserve protection", which is not a common thing to do.

Eken.jpg.0e4dbaffb90ef7fc8160f204a7c512fe.jpg

59765878919ff_Stortrdsinventering.jpg.ceb60625ba4e48e44079816f41e0240b.jpg

597658788e3f1_TomasLjungLstDalarna.jpeg.2331865e397360beb7c2670c8f9d6d7b.jpeg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The house was torn down as of wednesday and the fence removed...

I decided to do some rootexcavations/survey to establish where the roots are and in what condition.

Perfect job for a young and fit apprentice!

We begun digging a trench at the previous dripline to find out how deep the roots are. I dug about a foot and a half and found nothing! We then started clearing the trunkcollar...

It was apparent that the tree and its roots has been covered with a layer of topsoil, probably about 12", some 30 years ago.

Not a lot of roots and only a few major ones, growing at 45 degree angle downwards. I found one with whiterot and another one with brittle wood and whiterot. the rest of them seem ok.

I will carry on next week and see how the rest of the roots are.

DSC_0325_2.jpg.2acc8fc81994f54430e6bba7b82d0586.jpg

DSC_0324_2.jpg.9dbc0c2c5d19b138f02da5e04431b524.jpg

DSC_0321_2.jpg.587a9bac5eb5abc2e126dc409bb79027.jpg

DSC_0320_2.jpg.34ed6b4c89c06779f44704d9bf174cd4.jpg

DSC_0319_2.jpg.66e2fad41f9348edd72147a90bf122d2.jpg

DSC_0317_2.jpg.1032204cdb1cb986aed35cdc353c3d41.jpg

Did the last root survey today... House is gone and the digger is scheduled for thursday.

Just wished my homemade Airspade was ready to go...:thumbdown:

Havent had the time to finish that project on time...aghwell plenty of opportunitys to use that later on..:thumbup:

The oak has been molested over the years, but holds significant historical values.

DSC_0001.jpg.f1042be272ea80f42c27cac46dd91c88.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg.24605b6350a791e88a244fbea792f654.jpg

All the soil around the tree will be removed and replaced with a oak and maple leafcompost that has been sitting unused in our yard for some years.

The road will be built with a porous layer of rock, that will allow roots to grow under the road if there is any roots in the outer perimeter.

The managment plan at the moment is just annual survey to record any changes in safety, but my aim is to enhance vitality and see if the tree can produce a lower crown and at a later stage allowing a reduction to fight the inevitable collapse due to fungal precense.

A fence will be erected to protect the tree and its roots, probably with the addition of chicken wire -Hampstead Heath style, to keep the leaf-litter in place and thus providing material for high bioactivity and nutrients.

DSC_0077.jpg.7ce7171d1a7ed9c86f354ab9ed51744a.jpg

Brilliant thread I will watch with great interest to see how the tree reacts to the changes around its roots system.

Welcome to the macadamia clan...though I suspect you have been a shell carrying member for some time.:sneaky2:

Not sure what you mean...I have followed the trials with porous soils for over ten years and the results has been astonishing. It would be great if the tree responds as I want it to, otherwise it will be the most expensive monolith known to man:blushing::001_rolleyes::laugh1:

A fence will be erected to protect the tree and its roots, probably with the addition of chicken wire -Hampstead Heath style, to keep the leaf-litter in place and thus providing material for high bioactivity and nutrients.

Chicken wire !!!!!!

How very dare you Sir.

I'll have you know we only entertain Peacocks roaming around the Heath :001_tt2:

Chicken wire !!!!!!

How very dare you Sir.

I'll have you know we only entertain Peacocks roaming around the Heath :001_tt2:

:blushing:

I assumed they were just dressed up poshlooking royalchickens....

A bit like the arbs wearing tuxedos...:001_tt2:

But the fences gave me the solution to the problem. (is it now you gonna give me the fencing-act talk?:confused1:)