Pre application meetings.

Arborist

18 stoner, benedmonds has answered exactly for me.

The job in questions is a new build that has just been finnished and the new owners want 3 awfull Abies not sure what species at the moment out.

When the building started a area order was put on the property.

At the meeting i will be able to discuss with the T O the removel and possible re planting with a differant genera so more likley to get the consent, better for me and better for the cliant.

Plus making contact in person with the T O in my eyes is only good as they get to know my veiws and standard of work and when my company name appears on a application in the future they have a good idear how the work applied for will be carried out.

In your particular case, i would say it will be difficult to get removal of any tree that has been protected as a result of development.

The councils i work with would not allow it for certain, in fact it is one of the pet hates that clients purchase a new house with trees on the property and immediately apply for removal. Rather defeats the object of them being protected.:001_rolleyes:

As for meeting TO's and them getting to know you and your work, they will request pre works meetings with you on pruning jobs if they dont know you, and they will get to know your workmanship as a result:001_huh:

Putting your argument forward by suggesting replanting schemes should be put in the app anyway. Yet again the idea of the protection/application process.

In a previous life as a LPS TO I wouldlokk favourably where a contractor included a replacement planting scheme in situations like this involving proposed tree removals. I saw it as a demonstration of commitment to maintaining tree cover AND recognition that there was a will by the LPA to include trees at the site.

Whilst the old adage of "nope, sorry missus but you boughtthe house with the trees there so remain they must" is very real, it shouldn't necessarily be so. Where the actual 'amenity value' of the trees is questionable, and obvioulsy the whole context and setting of the site has changed, then surely a more suitable replacement is of greater long term value? Trouble is that's often seen as 'back-tracking' and an admission of an inappropriate TPO when it's anything but, it's about creation of a long term sustainable relationship.

Re pre-apps meetings, I understand the LPA's can charge and it's discretionery whether they do or not. Personally I always saw it as a very positive and beneficail exercise...plus an opportunity to keep up withthe locla gos!

Cheers all..

Paul

They need to get the cost of a visit down to less than fiver to reach it's true value. Some T.O.s are over promoted, overpaid and can be quite selective who they like or dislike. Typically, they can wrongly ID trees, not return calls, threaten to prosecute any tree surgeon on site and give duff advice. If you live in an area with a good one like me you are very lucky. (T.O. retired and not replaced.)

S'funny - some contractors can be a bit like that. Charge too much, do bad work, wrongly ID trees, give duff advice etc. Unprofessionalism is unprofessionalism regardless of job description.

Site visits can be for all kinds of reasons. I've been called out for safety inspections, design consultancy, application discussions, negligence claims, neighbour disputes, work specifications and for no reason at all. Was using me as a free consultancy service a good use of my time? Was one vocal resident using the resources of the district proportionatley? Was my presence undercutting the business of local consultants/contractors?

Funding will be cut and TOs will be expected to do more with less. The end of free services is here - we should expect to see more charges like these. £60 seems fair enough to me - though I would expect that the LPA should waive that charge in unfair circumstances.

S'funny - some contractors can be a bit like that. Charge too much, do bad work, wrongly ID trees, give duff advice etc. Unprofessionalism is unprofessionalism regardless of job description.

Agreed and worst.

But I was speaking from bitter experience having to deal with several TO's and it's like herding cats sometimes. The best work is working direct for a LA at least all the checks (in theory) have been done and I can relax.

I am not keen on the £60 fee though. This will be the first step towards charging for applications and appeals.

Your prediction on another thread has come true sooner than I thought; Quote: "Not a day goes by on this site without someone posting a picture/link/video to highlight alledged bad practice or making a thread to howl about the poor standards of work that they've seen".

Joking aside, I still struggle with ID, but I tend to undercharge rather than over like many other contractors. As for bad workmanship, quality control is active and is busy most days. (that's me). At the end of the day if a contractor gets it wrong it's him or her that's going to feel it in the wallet no one else.

Edited by lendahand
Ha. missed out or her.