be careful out there (electric lines)

daveindales

Was cutting back a leylandii hedge today. Phone line was in way but I was'nt too bothered about it. small branch went on to it, and I pulled it off. This is something I do time and time again. After that I noticed it was not a phone line but a thin electric line. I think I was very lucky. Now Iv'e been doing this for 15 years now and know exactly how to tell the differance between phone and electric lines, but was caught out for the very first time today. The sun was in my eyes (unusual for Yorkshire) and I just thought it was a telephone line. Iv'e learned a lesson today. Be careful out there and don't get your wires mixed up.

Just because its a phone line doesn't mean it can't be dangerous. Phone lines are often run on the same poles as live power lines and it has been known for the phone line to become entangled in the power line meaning that line then becomes energised. They should both be treated with the same respect unless it's blindingly obvious that the phone line is the only one there.

+bodges. I worked as an electrician many moons ago and it never ceased to amaze me what people would use to pass 240 volts through. Bell wire was a favourate, picking up power from any circuit.

Using bellwire/phonewire for an overhead to a shed or garage is downright dangerous,but if it can be done, then the inept will do it. As has been said always check lines, you can never be sure whats running through it. It can and will kill you.