Something on Oak

alliaria

Hi,

A bit of a long shot considering the state of these fruiting bodies, but any ideas. I thought the ones at the base may be old inonotus dryadeus, Its an Oak by the way, and the others strewn around the floor look like inonotus hispidus, but i,ve not seen it on Oak. There seems to be a scar at the base but it,s low for I. hispidus.

Cheers

100_0515.jpg.61230ec08556dd9557fc0d121cd7eebb.jpg

100_0510.jpg.fc47947f09ac87ad0b3e89204ec0e19f.jpg

100_0509.jpg.2afe1dd09f146ba36bb03b45571d38cd.jpg

100_0508.jpg.a11e82256b6588443a2938bb2d299652.jpg

100_0506.jpg.9ba27861ee6568c4b8038bf335be9f32.jpg

Allaria, the cracking on the underside of those brackets is A typical of inonotus dryadeus, sorry Giles!

There is a slight disruption in the bark where the scar is, this is indicating rapid growth and compensation of the decay column. As this tree adapts it will form the buttreses that inonotus dryadeus is renowned for fruiting inbetween, it is in most cases the decay that forces the forming of the buttressing! But what do I know eah! you can JUST about make out the very start of a low profile/soil line swelling, this is early/mid term dryadeus, if you have targets get the root crown investigated, otherwise leave her well alone.

Only just seen the last image of the dieback in crown and more importantly the road! i would not fell this, but I would do a 30% crown reduction to the health line, and a further reduction say 10 20 years depending on how annual monitoring of the compensation and regrowth goes.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I would also add that if collybia fusipes shows up this becomes a critical fell scenario, as dryadues is in most cases saprobic on the old tap roots and dysfunctional parts of the root crown, often the sap wood layer or cambium remains intact and perfectly functional.

however colybia only decays the cambium and fleshy sap wood layer, the two in combo, are an absolute killer combo on Quercus

If only I'd taken the time to look at the arbtalk guide, I would found a very similar image to the 2nd pic.:001_rolleyes:

Inonotus dryadeus - David Humphries’s Fungi Directory - Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=513&d=1286203467

yes, eventualy it will sink in what a great little resource that is.:001_cool:

What do you think about the form of the butt on that oak giles?

That is what i would call the body language of decay!:thumbup1: