Fungus Festival

log_hauler

By way of a thankyou for the tip Log Hauler, here's my effort from today using low ISO and high Fstop (ISO 100, F8 and some PP). I have a rack of excuses for some of my failures at this fine group of fungi, but this is one that'll do. Thanks again for adding to the armoury of technique with your advice.

Now your realy getting there Albedo!:thumbup1:

even the fence post is legible!:laugh1:

Sometimes, we DONT want depth, DOF is a tool, another apsect of image making to be used to our advantage. Shallow fields can realy emphasise the subject, like Forest says, a dedicated macro lens has very narrow DOF, but a good macro lens will have over 16 blades within the iris and a minimum aperture of F32 to get round the worst of those issues.:thumbup:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont actualy own any editing software, and shoot Jpegs, and i doubt ive ever cropped more than a dozen photos posted in here!

Thanks H for the above encouragement.

You do however own some ed software now though mate, on the disk that came with the camera. Although I normally advocate reading instructions I strongly recomend that you do not read the instructions for silkypix, it is bad for your health.

And its really easy just to use by experiment.:thumbup1:

By way of a thankyou for the tip Log Hauler, here's my effort from today using low ISO and high Fstop (ISO 100, F8 and some PP). I have a rack of excuses for some of my failures at this fine group of fungi, but this is one that'll do. Thanks again for adding to the armoury of technique with your advice.

Great photo. One thing I didn't mention that I often do with fungus shots, is tidy up the foreground and background a little before taking the picture. By this I mean you should pull away any grass stems, twigs, leaves and other debris before pressing the shutter. In the exictiment of finding a nice group of fungus it's easy to miss some intruding twig or background object that might spoil the picture when viewed later. In the case of your picture I think I would have pulled aside the grass stalks and some of the twigs in shot.

So, before taking any shot, take a step back and look for things which might later look intrusive. Taking this a step further- you could add some fallen leaves or someting to the scene. Study some of my photos and you see some autumnal leaves around the fugus. They didn't fall there- I put them there! Fakery I know!

Ha Ha, thats exactly what happened, I was so amazed to stumble on this lot that I just got firing away from all angles, and thinking about camera settings a lot. I didn't notice the background was spoiled in half of them by cars in the distance and other things. So this is a good tip to take time out for the detail. This has been pointed out to me by Hama and SJH so i must get less excited:biggrin:

I was also too wimpy to lie down to see the screen properly as the ground was hard, ploughed and rocky and looked too uncomfortable. I must make more sacrifices to the art of shroom hunting:biggrin: