What Fungi Book ?

John Barleycorn

Over the years I have bought a few books on fungi.

My collection includes :-

The New Field Guide to Fungi. Soothill & Fairhurst (1978)

Mushrooms. Roger Phillips (1981)

The Great Encycopedia of Mushrooms, Losange ? (1998)

Mushroom Hunting. Harding. (2006)

Are any of them any good ? You will probably laugh at them.

What would be the best, most up to date one to buy ?

Kiezer is a good one, as is jordans encyclopedia of fungi but roger phillips mushrooms is as good as it currently gets.

Some of us are trying to get this changed, fungi is only just starting to become "fashionable" again and not a grreat deal has ever really been published along these lines, least not technicaly advanced info. I mean to say, with kew identifying 1500 species annualy and even with the small minority of these being "macro fungi" wotrth trying to identify with a guide book, this means there are no books that currently hold anywhere near enough species in thier pages, 2000 identified species with a colour photo would be about as good as youl find.

By a microscope though, and theres a whole nuther world of books.

Ive just picked this one up I have the tree id one and i think its grate small and covers pritty much every tree i have came across so far

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007232241/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0007242905&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0ECJ1HZKVE73A6KNCVQK]Collins Complete British Mushrooms and Toadstools: The essential photograph guide to Britain's fungi Collins Complete Guides: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Sterry, Barry Hughes: Books[/ame]

I was going to ask the same thing a few weeks back about what book i should get Carnt wait to see what people think is good and bad

Totally agree with "Collins Complete Guide ...." - easy to read, most up to date with name changes (which are happening all the time), overflowing with info not just on fungi, but slime moulds, some lichens, and yer rusts and smuts.

Only small criticism is lack of gill/pore shots, but where vital to an ID they are included.

Not quite sure what Hama means when he says "Some of us are trying to get this changed" Are you after a 'Bumper Book' of fungi ? It ain't gonna happen as it would be way out of date by the time it is published.

I have been a member of the BMS for quite a while and if you need to keep up to date with the latest changes then I recommend you join or if you already are an associate member, you are not reading thoroughly the excellent articles/papers they produce.

Totally agree with "Collins Complete Guide ...." - easy to read, most up to date with name changes (which are happening all the time), overflowing with info not just on fungi, but slime moulds, some lichens, and yer rusts and smuts.

Only small criticism is lack of gill/pore shots, but where vital to an ID they are included.

Not quite sure what Hama means when he says "Some of us are trying to get this changed" Are you after a 'Bumper Book' of fungi ? It ain't gonna happen as it would be way out of date by the time it is published.

I have been a member of the BMS for quite a while and if you need to keep up to date with the latest changes then I recommend you join or if you already are an associate member, you are not reading thoroughly the excellent articles/papers they produce.

I was a member last year, and loved the info it brought to my door, couldnt fund the membership this year but will next year as i miss it, and thoroughly enjoyed the annual meet at kew last year too.

When somone of your obvious knowledge comes along and reminds me just how little I know it really gets my juices going to get REALY into it again. I do however take the BMS goal of widening awareness and information seriously, member or not, I do as much as I can, and Hope i havent made any major mistakes in doing so!:blushing:

maybe youll keep an eye on me and pull me up when i am wrong, this will be most welcome and appreciated, learning is what i want.:thumbup: