Mk1 Ford Ranger experiences & opinions please

blue beastie

Lads and Lassies,

Have been to see examples of most of the vehicles suggested in the "which cheap 4x4" thread I started, all of which have been rubbish for the most part - mainly because of the fact they've all been cheap. You get what you pay for and all that....

So, i've upped my budget and turned up the following:

1999 V reg Ford Ranger Mk1 Double Cab with 90k miles. Garage owned since new, full service history (serviced every 6k miles), brilliant condition cosmetically. It's £2600 + VAT.

The price is non negotiable but includes alloys with snow tyres on, steelies with knobblies on, a monster strobe light set up, 12 months tax & MOT and a fresh service. It had a new clutch 1k miles ago too.

I know the garage owner and he's straight up & down. Went in to see if he knew of anything for sale locally, he ummed and erred and then said "well it wasn't for sale but I could sell you my truck if you like".

Forestry Commission used to use them.... anyone on here had/have one?

What d'ya think?

Ta.

ive got one, paid just a little bit less than you but it had a touch more miles on. (108k) i love it, it does everything i ask of it, ive put loads of miles on it in the short time ive had it and its given me no problems (touch wood!). its not a pure off road vehicle but it goes over nearly everything ive needed it to and its still comfy as a day to day vehicle. it sounds like a good deal youve got there too.

geoff

Just remember that it is a road vehicle with 4x4 capability, and its built to a (very limited) budget, and you will be fine. You start doing to it what a land rover will take, and it will show you why they are half the price (new) of a defender.

Having said that, I do reckon they are half decent.

Just remember that it is a road vehicle with 4x4 capability, and its built to a (very limited) budget, and you will be fine. You start doing to it what a land rover will take, and it will show you why they are half the price (new) of a defender.

Having said that, I do reckon they are half decent.

Cheers for that Tommer, am planning on taking it fairly easy. I'd wanted a disco commercial or similar, but for the kind of money the Ranger cost I couldn't find a decent one with history etc. We'll see how it goes.